About the Oakland Business Improvement District
We are the Oakland Business Improvement District (OBID), one of Pittsburgh’s largest place management organizations. As the face of Oakland’s future, we are guided by a vision to set the standard for growth and innovation. Founded in 1999, we successfully ensured the Central Oakland business district was clean, safe, and vital. Since then, the anchor medical, educational, and cultural institutions have grown and together they formed a center of innovation that is recognized throughout the world. We are an established and growing organization that is seeking dedicated individuals who share our commitment to ensure Oakland’s place as Pennsylvania’s global center. For more information, visit www.oaklandpittsburgh.com.
Our Values Statement
OBID reframes the experience of commercial, retail, office and residential environments while dismantling oppression, embracing diversity, promoting diverse business, and creating spaces for social, racial, and economic justice.
This position is a unique opportunity for a highly skilled, team oriented professional to contribute to the quality of life in Oakland and to the growth of the entrepreneurial community by managing initiatives related to public realm experience and activation and to economic vitality. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, we understand the on-going changes to consumer habits and to the way people use, relate to and experience public space, workspaces, offices, and storefront spaces. We seek an individual who is comfortable working in such an ever-shifting ‘new normal’ context and capable of envisioning innovative high impact solutions and interventions.
We seek a results-driven, creative problem-solver motivated by a desire to make a real difference in our community. We need a person who prioritizes people and relationships and enjoys high levels of stakeholder engagement and working in an environment of collaboration and innovation. As the point person for our many projects and initiatives, the ideal candidate will engage many diverse groups, colleagues, and professionals from various industry sectors. The position will have the opportunity to learn about all aspects of placemaking, business vitality and development including design, project management, storefront promotion and leasing, city permits and approvals, business advocacy and delivering quality projects on schedule and within budget.
We seek candidates with the demonstrated ability and desire to:
- Passion for, commitment to, and understanding of OBID’s Mission to ensure Oakland’s place as Pennsylvania’s global center.
- Display a willingness, enthusiasm, and innovative spirit to address problems, identify solutions and manage processes to facilitate effective place management and business development initiatives.
- Work collaboratively, maintaining rapport with both internal and external colleagues and partners.
- Actively participate as a team member, sharing new ideas and contributing to key initiatives
- Oversee the Clean and Safe contract responsible for sidewalk and public space sweeping and maintenance services.
- Manage initiatives related to public realm activation, business vitality and recruitment.
- Contribute to a broad range of critical activities, from organizing responses to Requests for
- Proposals to representing the organization at City commissions, community meetings and public forums/events.
- A hands-on professional with an open and friendly personality that encourages enthusiasm and creativity.
- Highly motivated, independent-thinking, and energetic professional with a can-do attitude, drive to take initiative, and willingness to actively contribute to a successful, high-functioning team and support overall organizational goals and needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish trust quickly with others while cultivating and growing relationships among diverse stakeholders.
- An experienced communicator who is well versed in business district engagement and facilitation and who commands well-developed interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Exhibit high level of integrity and standards of quality in all aspects of work.
The Manager of Placemaking and Activation will report to the Executive Director. Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in placemaking, place management, business, and economic development.
- A Bachelor’s degree in architecture, planning, civil engineering, business management, or a related field is required.
- Considerable experience in public space planning and design, in collaborating with elected officials, government offices, building owners, developers, businesses, and residents.
- A desire to pursue contemporary concepts, placemaking best practices, and innovative strategies and techniques.
- High Level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
Salary commensurate with experience and dependent on qualifications. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits package. During the coronavirus pandemic, OBID’s staff continues to work remotely to ensure the health and safety of all employees and our constituents. We anticipate flexible work schedules once we return to the office when it is safe to do so.
Apply electronically by January 29, 2021 to the attention of Georgia Petropoulos, Executive Director. Please forward your resume, cover letter, salary expectations and three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and Inclusiveness: OBID strives to create a diverse and inclusive workplace. We highly encourage qualified applicants regardless of age, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any combination of these or related factors, to apply for consideration.
OBID is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com