Website Pennsylvania United
Reports to: Regional Organizing Director
Location: Pennsylvania – must be within a two hour drive of State College and Greensburg
To Apply: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter; subject line “Deputy Organizing Director.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
PA United is a membership organization made up of six chapters and nearly 1,000 members across Western PA. Our members are multi racial, multi generational, poor and working class people in small cities and towns ranging from Erie to State College, and Greensburg to Aliquippa. We have elected members to local city council’s and school boards, flipped counties to help defeat Trump, and won campaigns on issues big and small. In the next year, we’ll be taking on campaigns to build power with renters, govern with our members who are now in office, and flip the State Legislature. We’re excited to bring on a Deputy Organizing Director to support our members and staff as we build power for years to come!
The Deputy Organizing Director (DOD) is a key part of executing the organization’s vision of building sustainable progressive power and infrastructure in Western Pennsylvania that will determine the political and economic future for working class people across the state. The DOD will work closely with the Regional Organizing Director, Organizers, Membership Specialists, and Member Leaders to build powerful, member-led chapters that take on and win both issue and electoral campaigns.
The DOD is responsible for supervising and coaching all staff within PA United’s chapters in Allegheny, Centre, and Westmoreland counties. The DOD is ultimately responsible for ensuring that each chapter has member leadership structures, a base of dues paying members that regularly take action, campaigns with specific goals and tangible outcomes, and a culture of radical hospitality and support. The Deputy Organizing Director plays a critical role supporting Organizers and Membership Specialists in their roles by providing guidance and advice on key campaign decisions and organizing challenges, helping with plan creation and training, and ensuring they receive appropriate support from other staff such as the Digital Organizer. Overall, the DOD keeps the team accountable and focused on empowering people to join with their family, friends, and neighbors to build a multi-racial, working class movement for independent political power.
We are seeking individuals who are passionate, versatile, and enthusiastic with experience bringing people together around an issue and moving them to take action.
Specific Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Northwest Deputy Organizing Director and Regional Organizing Director to create a team culture based on deep relationships, agitation, accountability, and joy
- Supervise, coach, and support Organizers/Membership Specialists to build powerful member led chapters that are running effective and accountable issue and electoral campaigns. This includes campaign strategy and political advice, problem solving organizing challenges, feedback on organizing skills, and annual evaluations
- Develop relationships with key Member Leaders in each chapter to assist Organizers with leadership development, campaign strategy, and culture building
- Work with the Northwest Deputy Organizing Director to ensure all chapters are working together towards shared goals and creating shared spaces for members to come together
- Help create a common narrative among each chapter by working with communicators to produce campaign materials, scripts, text and phone banks
- Work with the Data Organizer to train/support staff on Every Action, VAN, Thru talk, and text and phone banking email universes including basic technological functions
Qualifications and Skills:
- At least three years working as a community, labor, or faith organizer, or similar experience as a volunteer or member of a movement-based organization. Previous supervisory experience is not required, but is a plus.
- Commitment to understand race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of your work as well as the impact these structural issues have on our collective work environment
- Belief in and commitment to progressive social, racial, and economic justice
- Deep connection to the organization’s mission to build a multi racial working class movement for independent political power
- Superior interpersonal skills, an ability to work with a diverse array of individuals and communities, and an ability to challenge people to take risks in order to make change
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to give and receive timely, specific, performance-based feedback at multiple levels: from a supervisor, to a peer, and to a supervisee
- PA Drivers License and use of a vehicle
The work schedule can at times be greater than 40 hours per week and includes evening and weekend meetings and events, as necessary. It is not a strictly 9am-5pm position. Travel is frequently required within the counties of work and may be required to spend extended periods of time in different communities across Western Pennsylvania.
This is a full time, exempt position. This is a management position on the PA United Regional Leadership team with a salary range of $52,000 – $64,000. PA United provides health, dental, and vision insurance with fully paid premiums and deductibles as well as a 401k with an employer contribution of 3% of salary, monthly cell phone and travel stipends, 12 paid sick days and 28 holiday/vacation days annually.
Pennsylvania United is an affirmative action employer. People of color, LGBTQIA people, and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We believe that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law. Pennsylvania United’s office is accessible, however, Pennsylvania United staff are currently working remotely.
Learn more about us at www.paunited.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com