Pittsburgh A. Philip Randolph Institute
Website Pittsburgh A. Philip Randolph Institute
The Pittsburgh Chapter of A. Philip Randolph Institute (APRI) is a non-profit organization in Pittsburgh, PA committed to the social progress of minorities, the poor, and working people. APRI is dedicated to developing and promoting programs that promise democracy, education, and economic opportunity to those who are traditionally disenfranchised or discouraged from productive citizenship, while collaboratively leveraging regional strengths through equitable innovation, education, workforce development, and the cultivation of sustainable business opportunities.
The APRI Communications Coordinator position has a strong emphasis on marketing and communications to promote the APRI mission and expand APRI’s network of support. This person will manage various means of internal and external communication, and will also manage assigned fundraising activities. S/he will work alongside the APRI team to ensure that all aspects of the program — recruitment, training, and placement of students into family-sustaining careers — are conducted successfully and with fidelity to the program model.
The Communications Coordinator should have a passion for, and a commitment to, sustainable workforce development principles. An individual who is self-motivated and highly organized, with strong communication and interpersonal skills, will be successful in this role.
- Manage all of APRI’s communications platforms (e.g., formal appeal letters, WordPress website, social media, etc.)
- Draft and submit op-eds and press releases, and participate in outreach activities such as radio shows, to maintain APRI’s consistent presence in the community
- Create and Coordinate all social media and online to create momentum for and awareness of APRI’s mission, programs, and activities, including creating press releases, developing social media content, and utilizing free media outlets.
- Collect and maintain a visual media database of photos/videos taken at APRI events and maintain photo files for ongoing use; create, edit and upload photos and videos to APRI’s website and social media outlets
- Track online and social media analytics and support internal and external data reporting needs.
- Lead the development of website content that ensures APRI’s online presence is dynamic, relevant and mission-driven
- Create and coordinate content for the quarterly digital newsletter, email campaigns, and annual reports to promote awareness about and participation in APRI programs and activities.
- Coordinate with APRI team members on grant and proposal preparation and reporting. This includes organizing and maintaining grant and proposal timelines, drafting grant reports, with APRI team members and consultants as needed.
- Organize all philanthropy systems, files, calendars, correspondence, plans, and records and report on philanthropy activity as needed.
- To work with APRI team and consultants to plan, obtain approval, and execute all activities associated with fundraising.
- Coordinate United Way Contributor Choice campaign
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the social justice movement, the Black Labor Alliance movement, the restorative justice movement, and other related issues.
- Additional duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or equivalent work experience.
- Two or more years of relevant experience (can include volunteer experience)
- Excellent written, oral communication skills and public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative to achieve team goals
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Creative approach to sharing information with a wide range of audiences.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with various technologies (i.e., hardware and software)
- Knowledge of social media
- Experience with graphic design tools preferred
- Experience with Mailchimp preferred
- Experience in web development or web design with strong WordPress skills
- Salesforce skills or other database experience is desired
- Experience with maintaining a constituent record database
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to follow established financial procedures
- Experience managing fundraising events with proven success
- Knowledge of the greater Pittsburgh region and its nonprofit sector preferred
- Prior experience with or willingness to work with previously incarcerated populations
- Valid Driver’s License required and access to a reliable, insured motor vehicle preferred; Willingness to use own vehicle on company business (mileage is reimbursed).
- Flexibility in work schedule for evening/weekend meetings and events
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds of boxes/equipment and perform physical activities as required
Reports to: Operations Director
Compensation and Benefits
This position is managed under a collective bargaining agreement and is unionized. Compensation is competitive, and benefits include health care, a defined benefit pension plan, and PTO. Paying union dues is a requirement of the position.
No phone inquiries, please. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com