Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre
Website Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre
Full-time position with stipend, meals, and housing included
ABOUT PITTSBURGH BALLET THEATRE (PBT): Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre has been the region’s premier professional ballet company since 1969. Today, PBT is a nationally recognized ballet company of 35 professional dancers, a training institution for over 1,300 students of all ages, and an incubator for dance education and accessibility programs in classrooms, libraries, and community centers throughout the region. The company performs a wide-ranging repertoire of classical ballets, contemporary masterworks, and new commissions in more than 50 performances annually in theaters, across the region, and on tour. In 2020, PBT welcomed new artistic director Susan Jaffe who kept PBT dancing during the pandemic with innovative programs such as the award-winning Fireside Nutcracker and our inaugural Open Air Series, with performances on our outdoor stage and on-screen featuring new works and classical favorites. We are a team of artists, innovators, educators, creatives, leaders, and doers. We aim to put our people first, celebrate diversity, and inspire the region through our work.
ABOUT THE POSITION: Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre is looking for a Live-In Resident Advisor who can help our residents grow into powerful dancers and strong, independent young people. This position is instrumental in creating and maintaining a safe, hospitable living/learning environment at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre School’s student residence. The Resident Advisor works closely with the Manager of Residential Programs to supervise and support up to 21 residents, ages 14-18. The Resident Advisor resides on-site at Byham House for the duration of employment.
WHAT YOU WILL DO: While no two days are quite the same, you can expect that your day will generally consist of the following primary responsibilities:
- Support our young dancers, developing a positive and professional rapport with them, and practicing active listening to be in tune with their needs
- Communicate and enforce Byham House policies and procedures outlined in the Byham House Handbook, reporting violations to the Manager of Residential Programs and assisting in disciplinary action when needed
- Oversee Byham House’s Community Engagement requirement, helping students connect with local volunteer opportunities, providing transportation, and scheduling meetings to check in with their progress
- Work alongside the Manager of Residential Programs to facilitate activities, excursions, and wellness programming
- Be sensitive and vigilante to the physical and mental health needs of our students, and accompany residents to necessary appointments
- Facilitate Byham House building inspections and maintenance when on duty
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR: The Live-In Resident Advisor is a responsible, empathetic, and approachable guide who understands the importance of building and maintaining healthy boundaries with residents. All PBT employees embody our core values: Respect each other and embrace our diversity, work hard with integrity and passion, collaborate to ignite new possibilities, innovate at every level within our organization.
- Previous work with youth or in a residential setting required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to mediate disputes, and outstanding organization and problem-solving abilities, required
- Coursework in psychology or student affairs preferred
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive a 15-passenger van, required
- The ability to lift up to 20 pounds, shovel snow, and complete rounds on all four floors of Byham House, required
- COVID-19 vaccination, required
- Finalists will be subject to a background investigation and drug test. Any offer of employment is contingent upon a review of those results. When applying, the candidate will be asked to complete the paperwork for a Pennsylvania Child Abuse clearance.
HOURS (subject to change)
Tuesday—6:30 am-2:30 pm
Thursday—6:30 am-2:30 pm
Friday—on call 2:30-5:30 pm, on duty 5:30-10:30 pm
Saturday/Sunday—on call every other weekend
- Annual stipend of $15,000, plus housing, utilities, and meals provided at no cost to the employee
- Hospitalization, vision, and dental insurance is available after 60 days; short and long term disability is also offered
- Time Off scheduled around student breaks (typically early January, spring break, and early August)
- 403(b) with employer match
- Everyone at PBT is a vital team member. Your ideas and your work will impact our students, the organization, and the promotion of the art form in our region and beyond
- Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States.
This position is a full-time position located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This is a live-in position, and candidates must be able to reside at Byham House for the duration of employment. This position can provide flexibility to obtain additional part-time employment or enrollment in academic study.
Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable workplace. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We will help ensure a comfortable and positive interview experience for applicants. Please let us know how we can accommodate you. For the safety of all, interviews are currently being held via Zoom.
To apply for this job please visit jobapply.page.link.