Pittsburgh Botanic Garden
Website Pittsburgh Botanic Garden
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden (PBG) is a unique cultural amenity for the city built upon 460 acres of reclaimed mine land that Inspires People to Grow. The Garden features inspirational display gardens, horticultural and environmental education, and research into regional botanical, ecological remediation, and conservation issues. The Garden is committed to taking a leadership role in the stewardship of the natural world and preserving healthy ecosystems. Please visit our website for more information: www.PittsburghBotanicGarden.org
The Finance Director position is responsible for the accounting and financial operations of the organization, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the organization’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. This position reports to the Executive Director, but works closely with other staff members. This position has oversight of all staff related to accounting or finance. This is a full time exempt position.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains all accounting systems, policies, and procedures in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepares monthly financial statements and reports.
- Manages all insurance products including but not limited to property, auto, risk-management and workers compensation insurance.
- Manages bank relations, investment management and negotiating debt financing.
- Monitors cash flow, oversees cash management, ticketing operation and covenant compliance.
- Coordinates the annual audit, government grants audit, and audits or financial reviews required by grants received from foundations.
- Coordinates and is responsible for filing all applicable tax returns
- Coordinate compliance with local, state, and federal regulations associated to financial reporting for internal and external purposes.
- Creates and enhances internal control systems to support financial audits.
- Reviews and negotiates contract services for cost savings, asset management, account analysis and reconciliation.
- Prepares all variance analysis reports of monthly actual to budget results for department directors and the Board of Directors for purposes of financial oversight of the organization.
- Works with the Executive Director and department directors to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Prepares forecasting against budget and monthly actuals.
- Prepares monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Meets with the Audit & Finance Committee and provides regular financial updates, including the annual budget presentation.
- Oversees new employee setup with payroll and benefits.
- Oversees all external contracts.
- Oversees all financial needs for events.
- Oversees the financial tracking of admissions, membership, rentals, café and merchandise sales.
- Performs other related duties as required for maintaining good financial practices.
- Generates ad hoc reports for various uses, analysis, and decision-making purposes and support.
Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business with a major in accounting or finance; CPA or MBA a plus
- Minimum 3-5 years progressively responsible experience in non-profit environment is required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and electronic spreadsheets; experience with non-profit accounting software, preferably the Blackbaud products Financial Edge and Altru
- Experience with government grant tracking preferable
- Solid base in mathematics with great analytical and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communications; attention to detail; ability to make financial presentations to both internal and external groups, committees, boards, or organizations
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work well with others
- Proven success in managing a variety of assignments simultaneously while maintaining strict attention to detail and schedules
- Clearance of required background checks
- Primarily office work conditions with occasional outdoor work at events
- Monthly evening work for Board meetings and weekend work for major Garden events
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds and traverse moderate site
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Email submissions only. Please send a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. All candidate submissions should be combined in a single PDF with the applicant’s name in the file name. Please do not include information in email text, but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to Kkaiser@pittsburghbotanicgarden.org