Pittsburgh Botanic Garden (PBG) is a unique cultural amenity for the city built upon 460 acres of reclaimed mine land that Inspires People to Grow. The Garden features inspirational display gardens, horticultural and environmental education, and research into regional botanical, ecological remediation, and conservation issues. The Garden is committed to taking a leadership role in the stewardship of the natural world and preserving healthy ecosystems. As part of the Garden’s growing team, the Garden seeks an enthusiastic and energetic Cafe Manager. For additional information, please visit www.PittsburghBotanicGarden.org
The Café Manager oversees the operation of the Canopy Café ensuring a positive guest experience to patrons. The manager is responsible for the day-to-day functions of running a café in a museum-like nonprofit setting including a limited amount of onsite catering. This position reports to the Events and Guest Relations Director and works closely with other Garden staff members.
Health care benefits are available including holiday, vacation and sick time.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Manage the daily operation, including staff of the Canopy Café and in-house catering needs.
- Manage menus including the preparation, production, and service of food
- Responsible for purchasing and ordering all necessary food and supplies items
- Prepare the complete line of food setup and establish an adequate system for the setup each day
- Prepare orders in kitchen based on guest tickets
- Check daily use records to make sure that production levels are filled correctly
- Manage the storing of food when deliveries arrive; date and rotate all food containers as required
- Maintain good housekeeping in the entire kitchen, range, freezers, and all reach-in refrigerators both FOH and BOH.
- Manage all daily operations of the café.
- Take food and beverage orders, process orders and payment transactions; is experienced with money handling
- Prepare orders with high attention to detail and is attentive to customer requests
- Operate Clover POS system
- Manage health inspections along with foodservice safety and hygiene
- Adhere to PBG Customer Service guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned to support Garden operations
- Coordinate culinary programs with Education Department
Experience and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate has 3-5 years previous experience in food service operations.
- Minimum requirements include Bachelor’s degree or culinary certificate and/or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Familiar with operation of full range of food service equipment as well as other mechanical skills
- Understands dietary restrictions and menu ingredients
- Currently are Serve Safe Manager Certified or can become
- Able to communicate clearly and tactfully with a pleasant demeanor
- CPR certification and first aid training a plus
- Demonstrate skills in collaboration and creative problem-solving
- People management experience including ability to manage multiple tasks
- Must be reliable and be able to work independently, under pressure and meet deadlines
- Must have high attention to detail and willingness to learn
- Able to work alone as well as part of a team
- Must have a passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden
- Obtain required background checks
- Flexible hours will be required for Garden-related functions, weekends, weekdays, evenings, and holidays. Pittsburgh Botanic Garden, including the Canopy Café, is closed on Mondays
- Duties are performed primarily indoors with occasional outdoor work
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and work in all weather conditions
Equal Opportunity Employer
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org