Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corp.
Director, Sponsorship Sales representing Pittsburgh’s NPR station 90.5 WESA and Triple A station 91.3 WYEP.
This is an exciting opportunity for a high-impact media sales executive to do work that matters by leading the media sponsorships sales effort representing Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting’s stations 90.5 WESA and 91.3 WYEP. The Director, Sponsorship Sales will provide hands-on leadership to the team responsible for selling and creatively packaging corporate sponsorship programs across the stations’ radio, digital, and events platforms.
With internal management and external market-facing responsibilities, the Director, Sponsorship Sales will play a critical role in helping our stations realize immediate revenue growth targets through existing platforms, while advancing the sales team’s ability to deliver broader digital and integrated media programs to corporate sponsors. This position reports to the Vice President, Audiences and Revenue and has four account executive direct reports. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage, help, mentor and guide the underwriting sales team to secure financial support for the stations and to exceed annual revenue goals.
- Assist with the development of department annual budget and creation of sales targets.
- Develop pricing and inventory controls.
- Create proposals and develop underwriting packages for clients.
- Assist the underwriting team in identifying new opportunities and prospecting leads.
- Work within in a team-based collaborative department to achieve department and organizational goals.
- Support the sales team with a weekly sales meeting and weekly individual meetings.
- Responsible for weekly/monthly activity tracking, projecting and forecasting future results, and reports of sales activity.
- Directs staffing, training and performance evaluations for underwriting department.
- Planning comprehensive marketing campaigns for underwriting partners utilizing all sales tools available including Tapscan, Scarborough, Salesforce.
- Adhere to accounting department payment and collection procedures.
- Complete understanding and observance of the FCC rules and regulations as it relates to underwriting messaging in a noncommercial setting.
- Maintain current knowledge of radio ratings and digital metrics.
- Represent organization at community networking events.
- Understand the unique nature of public radio to be able to effectively advocate for the products and services.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
Candidates should demonstrate most, if not all, of the following:
- Poses a genuine interest in learning about people and businesses.
- Understands and uses broadcast research such as Arbitron and qualitative statistics such as Scarborough.
- Experience tracking and reporting sales activity through Salesforce or similar CRM program.
- Highly motivated and creative with knowledge of required marketing skills and a willingness to develop through training.
- Capable of working effectively in a highly collaborative culture.
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to write and present in a professional and motivating manner.
- Excellent customer service skills and customer relationship management skills.
- A thorough understanding of media sales and media planning.
- Effective time management skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and clients simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or Business Administration plus a minimum of five years of in sales management and a minimum of 10 years in direct or outside sales.
Style and Culture Fit:
- Professionalism, emotional maturity and tact are important attributes in successfully managing a role at Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting.
- A collaborative player-coach style: the ability to inspire positive change as a member of the management team.
- Flexibility: the ability and instinct to pivot, challenge assumptions and adapt the game plan based on market and client feedback and the input of others.
- Problem solver: takes ownership; maximizes resources; can create a proactive strategy; is optimistic; applies a consultative sales approach to sustain client relationships rather transact business.
- Serious candidates should be fans of public media, and active, well-informed consumers of news and entertainment across platforms.
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity.
About Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting:
We are an independent, locally owned, community-supported public media organization. PCBC is home to 90.5 WESA and 91.3 WYEP, along with their related websites and digital services, all of which serve Pittsburgh and the surrounding communities of western Pennsylvania. The mission of PCBC is to create and distribute trusted content, build connections and strengthen our community through public media.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Employee development is critical to the missions of Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting and its stations, so we invest resources in providing development opportunities for all employees.
This management position carries a compensation package comprised of a base salary with override and performance-based bonus opportunities.
Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation offers an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental and vision benefits, 403(b) plan with generous matching contributions, paid vacation and holidays, maternity and new parent leave, and a workplace culture that is fun, diverse and innovative.
Please visit the recruitment site here. All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and three references. In your application, please let us know how you heard about the position.
This position is available immediately, and the search for candidates may be terminated without notice. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job please visit csspcbc.sentrichr.com.