Pittsburgh Festival Opera
Website Pittsburgh Festival Opera
Epic stories. Intimate experiences.
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Status: W2 Employee
The Director of Education is responsible for the development and administration of programs and processes that transform how children and communities view and experience opera.
- Coordinate and oversee all education activities of Pittsburgh Festival Opera, in accordance with the organization’s overall mission and vision
- Develop and implement education strategies with a focus on gradually increasing impact
- Prepare and manage Education budget, with executive director
- Bring experience, knowledge, and commitment to supporting and guiding the company’s efforts to become an even more diverse, equitable, and inclusive provider
- Hire and Supervise all Education staff, artists, teaching artists and volunteers
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (preferred) or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of related work experience as a music educator and/or arts administrator and prior experience as a vocal performer preferred, classroom piano experience is helpful.
Job Responsibilities and Skills:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact and work collaboratively with staff, artists, educators and volunteers in a highly professional, confidential and tactful manner.
- Ability to set priorities, coordinate multiple projects with tight timelines and meet deadlines while maintaining accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, utilizing good judgement.
- Ability to communicate logically, consistently and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to respond to complex requests and provide high-level customer service.
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet programs and database navigation.
- Knowledge of music writing software (Finale) and desktop publishing applications a plus.
- Knowledge of performing arts/opera and ability to read music preferred.
- Ability to attend evening and weekend events as needed.
- Proficient use of computer (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite), printer, copier, telephone and other general office equipment and machines.
Essential Job Functions:
- Regular engagement with students, teachers, parents and all program partners and participants in the field.
- Administrative functions including communications, department calendars and program schedules, closely monitoring deadlines and budgets, and facilitating important events.
- Creates and monitors reports on programs, including expense reports and materials required for grant applications.
- Generates materials for Education programming, including programs, flyers, brochures, and relevant web and content marketing.
- Serves as key liaison with schools, organizations and individuals to promote education programs, actively recruit new participants and schedule programs.
- Maintains roster, including current contact information, for schools, singers and other artists involved in Education Department programs.
- Assists in managing Education Department’s equipment and assets.
- Manages filing system for the Education Department and keeps files accurate, organized and up-to-date.
- Provides on-site support for school and company activities as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Dynamic, eloquent and consensus-building communicator
- Creative thinker
- Flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances
- Growth mindset
Please provide a cover letter detailing your leadership strengths and how your qualifications match the job description. Please include a resume and two references with your cover letter all in ONE pdf document and e-mail to: email@example.com. No phone calls.
Application deadline: February 21, end of business
PA Clearances required prior to hire: Act 151 Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance and Act 34 Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance
Pittsburgh Festival Opera is an equal-opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org