Community Foundation of Westmoreland County
Website Community Foundation of Westmoreland County
Position Title: WestCo Nonprofit Network Intern
Reports to: Executive Director, Community Foundation of Westmoreland County
Position Status: Temporary, Part-time, Non-Exempt
Hourly Compensation: $15/hr based on educational level and experience
Start date/End Date: September 1, 2019 – January 1, 2019 (1st semester with the possibility to extend)
About The Foundation:
Established in 1995, The Community Foundation of Westmoreland County (CFWC) encourages local residents to become philanthropists, provides grants that support a wide variety of charitable organizations, and serves as a community leader. Our resources comprise endowment funds established by individuals, businesses, and organizations with a passion for charitable giving and a deep commitment to strengthening and celebrating the Westmoreland County community. CFWC currently has more than 235 individual donor funds and grants over $2M every year.
The Community Foundation of Westmoreland County is an affiliate organization of The Pittsburgh Foundation, one of the nation’s oldest community foundations and the 13th largest of more than 750 community foundations across the United States. As a community foundation, our resources comprise endowment funds established by individuals, businesses and organizations with a passion for charitable giving and a deep commitment to the Pittsburgh community. The Foundation has approximately 2,000 individual donor funds and, together with its supporting organizations, assets of more than $1.14 billion. Grantmaking from the funds benefits a broad spectrum of community life within Pittsburgh and beyond with more than 2,000 grantees receiving funding annually. The Foundation typically awards grants of more than $40 million each year. Grantmaking from the Foundation’s discretionary funds leverages a broad range of resources and enables the Foundation to be an important change agent for the region. Approximately 85 percent of all grant-making dollars stay within the Pittsburgh region.
In 2018, the Community Foundation of Westmoreland County created the WestCo Nonprofit Network (WNN). This group was formed to provide education, advocacy, and networking opportunity for the nonprofit sector. This includes monthly educational workshops, networking events, intensive cohort-based trainings as well as capacity building assistance through management assistance grants, executive coaching, and access to consultants.
The WestCo Nonprofit Network Intern will help to plan, implement, and evaluate the work of the WNN. Because the WNN is still in its early stages of formation, the WNN Intern will be intimately involved in developing the structure of the network including the development of a membership model. Other responsibilities will include working with the WNN leadership team to plan monthly event, encourage and track organizational engagement, carry out all tasks related to the monthly network meetings, and help evaluate the work and plan for the future. The internship will average 10 – 15 hours per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the WNN leadership team and foundation executive director to create and maintain the membership model.
- Assist in developing programmatic aspects that will strengthen the value of the network.
- Create promotional materials to advertise events, training, and grant opportunities.
- Create and disseminate e-blasts and network communications.
- Assist with event registrations and event preparation including catering, supplies, and other materials.
- Help organize partnerships and advocacy efforts.
- Help set up and register participants on the day of events.
- Assist with day to day needs of the WNN membership.
- Maintain the WNN Community Calendar.
- Track participation rates and develop WNN database.
- Evaluate workshops and events.
- Solicited feedback for future WNN activity.
Qualifications and Experience
- Working towards obtaining a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the fields of Management, Public Policy, Social Work, Communications or other related fields. Have successfully completed at minimum the sophomore year of college.
- Experience or familiarity using Adobe products, specifically In Design.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- A strong, demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in public service, foundation or nonprofit work.
- Attention to detail and quality of final work product.
- Ability to manage several projects for multiple staff members simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- A sense of humor.
Applicant will be required to work from the office of the Community Foundation of Westmoreland County located at the Greensburg Garden and Civic Center, 951 Old Salem Rd, Greensburg PA, 15601. From time to time, the applicant may be required to work from the office of The Pittsburgh Foundation located at 5 PPG #250, Pittsburgh, PA, 15222 and therefore having the ability to drive to the Pittsburgh office.
Please submit your resume with a 1-page cover letter detailing your interest in this position and why you believe you could be a good fit to email@example.com.
No phone calls please.
THE PITTSBURGH FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org