Website Pittsburgh Opera
Pittsburgh Opera, Inc., a Level II member of Opera America and a constituent organization of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, has an immediate opening and is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Group Sales Manager.
Pittsburgh Opera is seeking a self-motivated, enthusiastic Group Sales Manager to join our team. The Group Sales Manager will be responsible for selling group tickets to Pittsburgh Opera productions.
As part of this, the Group Sales Manager is responsible for the creation, implementation, and maintenance of Pittsburgh Opera’s Group Sales plans and cultivation of new partnerships that can support Pittsburgh Opera’s overall goals. This person reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications, and will provide frequent updates on progress against agreed sales targets.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create, implement and maintain Pittsburgh Opera’s group sales marketing plan, including pricing, policies and procedures; and oversee a schedule of events that will help grow sales
- Research, identify, and develop relationships with existing and new area groups that would be interested in Pittsburgh Opera productions
- Solicit groups and maintain frequent correspondence with customers and prospects
- Actively grow Pittsburgh Opera’s group business by following up with both old and new clients to ensure continuous improvement in business development
- Build and maintain database of external sales contacts; strong record keeping of group contacts and group interests as they relate to group ticket sales
- Provide weekly progress reports to the Marketing & Communications Manager
- Work closely with Pittsburgh Opera’s Development Department on areas where Development and Group Sales efforts can coordinate, e.g. corporate group sales / events / marketing partnerships for corporate donors
- Work closely with Pittsburgh Opera’s Director of Education on areas where the Education Department and Group Sales efforts can coordinate, e.g. group sales / events / marketing partnerships for local school districts and higher education institutions.
- Work closely with Pittsburgh Opera’s Manager of Community Engagement on areas where community engagement events/promotions/partnerships can lead to group ticket sales
- Work with Digital Marketing Manager to create, track, and monitor digital sales campaigns for “Cheap Seats” student discount program
- In collaboration with other Cultural District performing arts organizations, grow relationships with entities including but not limited to tours/travel shows via Visit Pittsburgh, the Greater Pittsburgh Convention and Visitors Bureau, and Destination Greater Pittsburgh.
- Engage in community relations building with businesses in the downtown Pittsburgh and Strip District areas to cultivate an immediate network of support for sales and marketing activities.
- Initiate outbound group sales to alumni and professional organizations, schools, businesses, and other organizations through cold-calling, networking, in-person contacts and other methods
- Initiate goals and strategies for post-event retention and up-sell to new group sales patrons
- Manage and grow the Student Ambassador program, as part of overall efforts to establish and coordinate new sales programs targeting influencers and evangelists
- Interface with affinity groups such as the Pittsburgh Opera New Guard, both for cultivation events and performance events
- Create and manage events for specialized groups (e.g. Pitt Night)
- Provide excellent customer service
- Track group sales revenue and expenses against specific targets
- Analyze results, provide recommendations
- Other related duties upon request
Qualifications – Required
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience
- Proven experience in group sales, sales, or related marketing experience
- Knowledge of outbound sales calling, event planning, and basic marketing principles
- Knowledge of marketing and research
- Excellent customer service skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Professionalism, with the ability and willingness to work independently
- Organized, with the ability to manage multiple, competing tasks and prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Ability to brainstorm and research potential contacts and programs
- Track record of exercising good judgment and initiative
- Ability to problem solve with multiple internal and external constituencies
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with artists, staff, the public, and volunteers in an effective, professional, confidential and tactful manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours
- Some local travel required, e.g. to area colleges and universities
Qualifications – Helpful, but not required
- Knowledge of performing arts, specifically opera
- Knowledge of computer ticketing systems
- Familiarity with CRM; Tessitura preferred
- Special event experience
- Fluency in social media
Salary and Benefits
- The position is full-time exempt. Salary range is $37,000-$42,000, based on experience and demonstrated skills.
- Benefits include medical, and vision; paid vacation and holidays.
The Pittsburgh Opera is a tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please respond by email only to Kristin Gatch. Your application package should include a cover letter and resume.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org