Support Non-Exempt, Level 10 (starting at $44,687)
Pittsburgh Public Schools employs over 4,000 individuals in various capacities to support the academic achievement and strength of character of the 25,000 students we serve. The Talent Management Team in the Human Resources Department is responsible for the recruiting and staffing functions of the organization and is committed to attracting and retaining a high-performing diverse, and talented workforce who holds high expectations for all students.
The Staffing Assistant will support an assigned group of schools and departments in meeting their human capital needs. The Staffing Assistant will provide support to hiring managers in the selection, orienting, and placement of new hires and transfers. The Staffing Assistant will be the Human Resources point of contact for assigned school-based and departmental hiring managers and new hires. The Staffing Assistant will work closely with the Recruitment Specialist as it relates to meeting school-based recruitment needs.
Candidates must be enthusiastic about the fundamental goal of advancing student achievement in an urban public school district. Candidates must be comfortable working on a team committed to better meeting the needs of our student population by increasing the racial diversity and cultural competency of our workforce. We are a hard-working team focused on results and expect the pursuit of excellence in all aspects of the organization. In addition, we are seeking candidates with:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; Degree in human resources, management, or business preferred.
- SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, or SPHR certification preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team player, under pressure with multiple competing deadlines, and with culturally, educationally, and racially diverse internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word (Applicant Tracking Enterprise, Frontline, and PeopleSoft preferred).
- Strong analytical skills and an aptitude for data.
- Demonstrated project management skills, attention to detail, organized and able to meet frequent and changing deadlines.
- Working knowledge of school system, human resource practices, federal and state employment laws and knowledge around Pennsylvania Department of Education certification requirements.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism, poise, tact and diplomacy to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to innovate, research and think creatively.
- A capacity to solve problems, to stay organized and manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
City of Pittsburgh Residency Required
Essential Job Functions
- Implement the staffing of various positions across assigned schools and departments including, but not limited to, teachers, counselors, social workers, secretarial/clerical employees, nurses, paraprofessionals, project assistants, project managers, substitutes, food service & plant operations workers, athletic coaches, tutors, and playground monitors.
- Educate, consult and influence hiring managers for the purpose of ensuring human resource practices are implemented in accordance with state and federal regulations, District protocols, and collective bargaining agreements, to ensure positions are filled efficiently, in compliance, and with high-quality candidates.
- Track and manage permanent vacancies and substitute needs in accordance with Human Resources procedures in order to meet schools’ and departmental staffing needs.
- Coordinate the selection process, including screening applicants, preparing selection materials, scheduling and/or facilitating interviews, and vetting recommended candidates.
- Determine and extend employment offers to recommended candidates, ensuring both candidates and hiring managers have clear expectations throughout the orientation process.
- Ensure all pre-employment documents (e.g. clearances, health appraisal, etc.) are reviewed and tracked appropriately for each new hire.
- Prepare selection and orientation materials for the hiring process.
- Conduct New Employee Orientations including presenting to large groups and facilitating a high-volume document review process.
- Deploy district substitutes to fill assignments requested by schools and departments.
- Implement the internal transfer season and class size adjustment processes for school-based professionals and paraprofessionals.
- Handle all staffing inquiries in a responsive, customer-focused manner, providing a comprehensive first line of information and advice.
- Manage and organize the communications sent and received from shared HR email accounts.
- Provide regular updates to the Coordinator of Staffing Operations regarding progress towards goals and challenges to meeting goals.
- Participate in a departmental, team, and individual planning and goal-setting.
- Communicate effectively and confidently at all levels, over the phone, face-to-face, and electronically.
- Organize and maintain all systems; paper and electronic files.
- Serve as a backup to generate ID badges in the absence of assigned Human Resources personnel.
- Participates in meetings with unions as requested to address and resolve staffing concerns and operational processes.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
# of Jobs
Reports To Coordinator, Staffing Operations
Additional Job Information
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodation in compliance with the
American with Disabilities Act of 1990.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com