Pittsburghers for Public Transit, a project of The Thomas Merton Center, is a grassroots organization of public transit riders, workers, and residents who defend and expand public transit.
We are seeking a full-time community organizer to start in Summer 2021. The community organizer will work out of our Garfield office, but may work part-time remotely. The primary responsibilities will be to mobilize grassroots action for more equitable, affordable and sustainable transit service. The organizer will directly engage riders, bus operators and residents in community campaigns for expanded transit funding at the state and federal level, for fair fares, and for affordable housing and equitable development that puts people first. The Organizer will report to the Director.
All applications received by June 10th, 2021, will be guaranteed to be reviewed. However, we will continue to keep the position open until it is filled. We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis as applications are received.
PPT has a very small paid staff team, and close collaboration is required between all three staff positions. Primary duties and responsibilities of the community organizer include, but are not limited to, the following:
Lead PPT base-building and leadership development
- Bottom-line the member-driven organizing committee, and recruit, train and support new members
- Develop and conduct member outreach plan
- Build strong relationships and develop a leadership pipeline for PPT member engagement
- Mobilize members to take action and track participation
- Facilitate and lead canvassing days, phone banks, community meetings, events, and demonstrations
- Create and distribute fliers and other outreach material
- Manage and update the database of contacts and action history for each campaign
Assist with campaign planning and implementation, informed by transit riders and workers
- Assist with strategic planning
- Research transit needs, land use projects and policies that affect public transit riders and workers along with the community
- Assist with coalition building, by identifying and collaborating with allied partners
- Communicate with members of the media
- Support fundraising efforts and events
Represent PPT in coalitions, meetings and events, and in communication with members of the media
- Organized, responsible, and independent self-starter with the ability to identify new opportunities, while effectively using existing resources
- At least 2-3 years of experience in grassroots community organizing or labor organizing, community leadership development
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and to handle fast paced situations
- Strong and effective communication skills (public speaking, writing, etc.)
- Values self-improvement, open to giving and receiving feedback
- Passionate about public transit, labor, environmental justice, and equity.
- Believes in the power of collective action to bring about systemic change
- Experience working in an environment where commitment to justice based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation and physical ability is an important institutional value
- Willingness to work flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
- Willingness to travel throughout Allegheny County, and occasionally throughout the state of Pennsylvania
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Drive, and a willingness to develop additional skills as needed.
- Although PPT is a public transit advocacy organization, we often work in neighborhoods and with residents who have limited or no access to public transit, and so it is important for applicants to have a reliable means of transportation.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Laura Chu Wiens, Executive Director, PPT via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure prompt attention make sure to put “PPT Community Organizer” in the subject line.
The Thomas Merton Center, PPT’s fiscal sponsor, is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and members of other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Salary is $46,000 a year, and includes high quality health care, bus pass, and very generous paid leave time.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com