Reading Is Fundamental Pittsburgh
Website Reading Is Fundamental Pittsburgh
Reading Is FUNdamental Pittsburgh is looking for bright, energetic, entrepreneurial individuals to join our team as KEYS Service Corps, AmeriCorps members for the Full Year 2021-2022 term.
RIF Pittsburgh is dedicated to reducing the literacy gap in our community by providing books and motivational reading programs to our community’s most economically disadvantaged children.
We run a number of programs that serve our mission of increasing a love of reading among children. AmeriCorps members play an integral role as Outreach Coordinators who engage youth in enjoyable literacy activities by serving with one or more of our programs:
The Books for Keeps Program, which operates at over 85 different sites, including schools, early childhood centers, and after-school programs, allows children to self-select a brand-new, age-appropriate book 3-5 times a year during fun Reading Celebrations. The member will be responsible for a group of sites and use his/her own creativity and planning to organize and conduct activities with the sites.
The Storymobiles are libraries on wheels that bring books and storytimes to early childhood centers and public housing communities throughout the city. AmeriCorps members will plan, coordinate, and conduct Storymobile visits and activities by working closely with the Storymobile program team at our 100+ Storymobile sites.
Everybody Wins! is a literacy and mentoring program that pairs community volunteers with children in public schools to read one-on-one each week. The outreach member will work closely with the Everybody Wins! program director, volunteers, students, and school personnel to facilitate weekly reading sessions.
As a member of the RIF Pittsburgh team, you will be the face that the children look forward to seeing and will remember for years to come.
- Must have a passion for working with youth and underserved populations
- Experience in working with youth and underserved populations a plus
- Must have strong presentation skills and be comfortable delivering programming to large groups of children
- A positive attitude, the ability to manage multiple tasks and excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly motived, innovative, well-organized, and able to prioritize duties
- Must be a team player, understand the nature of a small organization and be open to do whatever needs to be done
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel; experience with design software library software is a plus.
Please note that this is a position through KEYS Service Corps, AmeriCorps, not a staff position with RIF Pittsburgh. The KEYS AmeriCorps Full Year program (August 25, 2021 and go through June 25, 2022 for 1700 hours) OR (October 6, 2021 and go through August 7, 2022 for 1700 hours) stipend is $17,000 with an additional education award of $6,195 at completion of service. Childcare subsidy and medical care available to qualified members.
To apply for this position:
Please email resume and cover letter to RIF Pittsburgh: Americorps@rifpittsburgh.org
For more information on KEYS Service Corps, AmeriCorps:
To apply for this job email your details to Americorps@rifpittsburgh.org