Reading Is Fundamental Pittsburgh
Website Reading Is Fundamental Pittsburgh
Reading Is FUNdamental Pittsburgh is looking for a bright, energetic, entrepreneurial individual to join our team and play an integral role as we relaunch in-person programming amid “the new normal.”
RIF Pittsburgh is dedicated to reducing the literacy gap in our community by providing books and motivational literacy programming to our community’s most economically disadvantaged children.
RIF Pittsburgh’s core programs form a network of literacy support to reach children and their families early and often, from birth into their teens. New parents read and play with their teeniest ones at Book Babies storytimes aboard the Storymobile right at their doorstep. The Storymobile enchants children 2 to 5 years old with read-alouds and skill-building activities at early childhood centers, preschools, and kindergartens. Our Storymobiles also visit after-schools, housing communities, and special events, where everyone who steps aboard can choose a terrific read. Books for Keeps builds in-class excitement and in-home libraries by visiting pre-K to 6th-grade classrooms across the city with Reading Celebrations that combine read-alouds, activities and books to keep! Everybody Wins! and RIF Readers continue to make reading magical as students advance in school, matching pre-K to 3rd-graders with a volunteer mentor who reads with them 1-on-1 at school or hosts them at their office to read each week.
At RIF, we recruit people, not qualifications. Each member of our team is hired because we believe they will be a true asset in helping to carry out our mission and vision, and we shape their role at RIF around their talents. This position is a unique opportunity for a Storymobile Team member with excellent writing skills to spend about 50% of their time providing programming and 50% of their time heading up our grant- and report-writing efforts. The insight gained from first-hand experience with our programs is essential in being able to present RIF’s high-level thinking and ground-level operations to funders, as well as infusing communications to foundations and donors with the sense of delight and fulfillment our team gets from working with our precious RIF kids.
Additionally, as we prepare to resume in-person programming, this position will participate in all aspects of our rollout, including:
- Program development, creation and delivery
- Staff hiring, training and management
- Community and partner relations
- Overall administration including purchasing of books and materials
- Grant and report writing
This position also offers the right candidate the potential to participate in our marketing and social media efforts.
- Excellent writing skills
- A passion for and experience in working with youth and underserved populations
- A teaching, early childhood and/or literacy background a plus
- Experience supervising team members
- A can-do attitude, the ability to manage multiple tasks and excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly motived, innovative, well-organized, and able to prioritize duties
- Must be a team player, understand the nature of a small organization and be open to do whatever needs to be done
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point; experience with library software, design software and web development a plus
- Position requires full operation of the Storymobile vehicles
Underrepresented candidates, including Black and non-Black people of color, and people who identify as LGBTQ+, are encouraged to apply.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: email@example.com
For more information on RIF Pittsburgh, visit www.rifpittsburgh.org
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org