Riverlife envisions a Pittsburgh where thriving world-class riverfronts are essential to the region and belong to everyone. Our mission is to create, activate, and celebrate Pittsburgh’s riverfronts, connecting people through exceptional places and experiences.
Under the direction of the Vice President, External Affairs, the Communications Associate at Riverlife is responsible for helping to implement the organization’s marketing and communications strategies, managing and creating content for Riverlife’s social media accounts under the direction of senior staff, assisting in planning Riverlife’s annual fundraiser event, Party at the Pier, and other organizational events, and providing administrative support for communications and development. This is a regular part-time position working approximately 20 hours/week and reporting to the Vice President, External Affairs.
Key Responsibilities and Qualifications include:
- Further develop the organization’s social media voice by writing and publishing original content on Riverlife’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram accounts.
- Use social media to highlight Pittsburgh’s riverfront transformation and positive organizational accomplishments.
- Develop and implement a strategy for growing audience engagement.
- Manage a budget for paid promoted posts and related campaigns.
- Source photography and images of Pittsburgh’s riverfronts and/or obtain permission from social media accounts for the use of riverfront photography and images on Riverlife promotional materials.
- Assist senior staff in advance planning for Riverlife’s annual fundraiser event Party at the Pier, including sponsorship development and tracking, virtual and in-person event contingency planning, theme and marketing development, committee member outreach, list management, and more.
- Assist in developing and implementing additional virtual and in-person community programs and riverfront activation programming, including riverfront pop-up events, health and wellness programs, public art initiatives and other activities to advance Riverlife’s mission.
- Assist with fundraising campaign development, tracking gifts, coordinating mailings, acknowledgement letters and other related tasks.
- Assist with creating and adding content to the Riverlife website such as blog posts, new riverfront project profiles, and news articles.
- Assist with creating and editing the Riverlife e-newsletter.
- Attend required staff and committee meetings; assist with note taking and preparing materials for reports.
- Maintain organizational records and files, including Customer Relationship Management database.
- Conduct research on social media, marketing, and development platforms and trends and report out to senior staff.
- Assist other staff members with day-to-day office administration as needed.
Other related duties as assigned.
Preferred Experience & Abilities:
- 1-3 years of professional experience in communications, event planning, and/or development, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Background or demonstrated interest in urban planning, landscape architecture, urban design, environmental studies, community and economic development, and/or riverfront improvement projects
- Prior professional experience posting and promoting original and engaging content on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube
- Prior experience planning and executing special events
- Excellent writing and editing skills for both professional and social media audiences, and the ability to adopt Riverlife’s voice and brand standards when creating content
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel and data entry
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Canva or similar photo editing and design programs
- Familiarity with WordPress or similar website content management systems
- Salesforce Customer Relationship Management software experience a plus
- Photography, video editing and/or graphic design skills a plus
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required to help produce special events
- Light physical activity, including some lifting of items up to 25 lbs., may be requested
This is a regular, part-time, nonexempt position reporting to the VP, External Affairs. The compensation is $16-18/hour, commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid sick days and a monthly stipend for phone and transportation.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, one sample of professional writing, and two samples of writing or posts intended for a social media audience, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Riverlife is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and represent marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com