Riverlife envisions a Pittsburgh where thriving world-class riverfronts are essential to the region and belong to everyone. Our mission is to create, activate, and celebrate Pittsburgh’s riverfronts, connecting people through exceptional places and experiences.
Riverlife works with developers, land owners, neighborhood groups, and elected officials on issues of riverfront design, access, amenities and programming in Pittsburgh and throughout the region.
The Communications and Outreach Internship at Riverlife will provide practical hands-on training and experience while assisting Riverlife in achieving long-term objectives. The Communications and Outreach Intern is responsible for managing and creating content for Riverlife’s social media accounts under the direction of senior staff. The Intern will also assist in planning Riverlife’s annual fundraiser event, Party at the Pier, and other organizational events.
This is a part-time, seasonal internship requiring 15-20 hours/week between October 2020 – January 2021. Due to preventative measures around COVID-19, the majority of this position will be completed remotely or out in the field, though some tasks are required to take place at the Riverlife offices following the organization’s health and safety guidelines.
Key Responsibilities and Qualifications include:
- Further developing the organization’s social media voice by writing and publishing original content on Riverlife’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram accounts.
- Use social media to highlight Pittsburgh’s riverfront transformation and positive organizational accomplishments.
- Develop and implement a strategy for growing audience engagement.
- Manage a budget for paid promoted posts and related campaigns.
- Assist senior staff in advance planning for Riverlife’s annual fundraiser event Party at the Pier, including sponsorship development and tracking, virtual and in-person event contingency planning, theme and marketing development, committee member outreach, list management, and more.
- Assist in developing and implementing additional virtual and in-person community programs and riverfront activation programming, including riverfront pop-up events, health and wellness programs, public art initiatives and other activities to advance Riverlife’s mission.
- Assist with end-of-year fundraising campaign development, tracking gifts, coordinating mailings, acknowledgement letters and other related tasks.
- Attend required meetings; assist with note taking and preparing materials for reports.
- Maintain organizational records and files, including Customer Relationship Management database.
- Conduct research on social media, marketing, and development platforms and trends and report out to senior staff.
- Assist with online file server data migration by performing data cleanup and organization for Riverlife projects and programs.
- Assist with Riverlife office move, particularly with scanning, organizing, and packing files.
- Assist other staff members with day-to-day office administration as needed.
Other related duties as assigned.
Preferred Experience & Abilities:
- Background or demonstrated interest in urban planning, landscape architecture, urban design, environmental studies, community and economic development, and/or riverfront improvement projects
- Prior professional experience posting and promoting original and engaging content on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube
- Prior experience planning special events
- Excellent writing skills for both professional and social media audiences
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel and data entry; CRM experience a bonus
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator or similar photo editing and design programs
- Familiarity with WordPress or similar website content management systems
- Photography, video editing and/or graphic design skills a plus
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required to help produce special events; Riverlife follows Allegheny County regulations and CDC guidelines for social distancing and in-person event limitations to prevent the spread of infectious disease.
- Light physical activity, including some lifting of items up to 25 lbs., may be requested
This is a part-time, seasonal internship and reports to the Vice President, Communications and Outreach. The stipend for the Internship is $4,000, paid in 4 equal installments.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, one sample of professional or academic writing, and two samples of writing or posts intended for a social media audience, to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Riverlife is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives and represent marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org