Robert Morris University
The Development Officer, Scholarships and Endowment Specialist is responsible for collaborating with the Director for Development in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding alumni and friends of the University for the purpose of increasing philanthropic support. The Development Officer will be an energetic and entrepreneurial colleague who has an understanding of, and passion for, the mission of the University and its future.
- Manages the identification, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of a portfolio of up to 200 alumni , friend donors and prospects of the University. With a high degree of independent judgment, is expected to conduct a minimum of 12 visits per month requiring extensive travel and attendance at evening and weekend events.
- Specializes in scholarship and endowment task management, including working with other areas of campus (Admissions, Financial Aid, etc.) to ensure the best possible donor experience for scholarship donors.
- Participates in all aspects of the gift cycle: a. Initiates contacts with potential leadership and major gifts ($1,000 or more) donors. b. Develops appropriate cultivation strategies. c. Moves potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure. d. Makes solicitations when appropriate and involves other members of the University community in order to maximize philanthropic opportunities. e. Maintains stewardship contacts with donors.
- Functioning as a specialist in scholarships and endowment guidelines for the team, will serve as the primary Institutional Advancement Liaison to University Centers of Excellence (Veterans, Women’s Leadership & Mentorship Program, Strategic Corporate Partnerships, etc.) and the respective leadership of each.
- Will assist the annual giving team with calling at the calendar and fiscal year end as well as assisting with other small solicitations.
- Works collaboratively with and in support of volunteers, advancement staff, and other University representatives to cultivate and solicit donors for University-wide priorities.
- Monitors and tracks all prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect and donor relations and maintains information in the database. Conducts donor research to discover new prospects for philanthropic support.
- Attends University campaign-related events, alumni events, awareness events, and other appropriate University sponsored events for the purpose of engaging alumni and prospective donors as part of the identification and cultivation process.
- All other duties as assigned. This position will drive on behalf of the University. Must be available by phone and email after typical business hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of 1 year of demonstrated leadership in advancement; preferably in higher education, including development/fundraising, alumni affairs and/or other related areas.
- Travel to off-site or out-of-town meetings is required.
- Extensive travel and attendance at evening and weekend events is required.
- Experience with database programs (i.e. Raiser’s Edge) and understanding how to conduct donor research is preferred.
- Excellent listening, verbal and written skills are required.
- Ability to present positive, energetic image to diverse internal and external constituents.
- Outstanding management, planning and organizational skills to work collaboratively on a team and results-based environment.
- Ability to self-manage time, priorities, and projects.
- Warm, professional interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with a range of staff, faculty, volunteers, alumni, current and prospective donors and the general public.
- A positive, achievement-oriented attitude, entrepreneurial mentality and proactive work ethic.
- The ability to maintain the highest level of discretion and confidentiality with sensitive donor giving information.
- Able to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- An understanding of the University’s priorities and objectives and the ability to identify external opportunities or threats affecting them.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Exemption Status Exempt
Act 153 Clearance Required No
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check Yes
Additional Posting Information None
Special Applicant Instructions Please apply to our career page from the link.
To apply for this job please visit careers.rmu.edu.