Website Sequal Consulting
Sequal Consulting is looking for a full-time Communications Associate who is passionate about and experienced in comprehensive strategic communications for justice-oriented movements and organizations. Associate responsibilities range from helping execute communications strategy, researching and analyzing media/political/policy opportunities, and generating and managing digital and traditional communications. The ideal person for this position will have some background in labor union communications. A commitment to movement-building and intersectional justice and liberation for all is required.
About Sequal Consulting
Sequal Consulting is a full-service strategic communications firm based in Pittsburgh, PA. We serve clients across the Commonwealth and throughout the country. We are strategists for social change who help movements shift power from corporations and billionaires to the people and the planet. We help our clients increase their visibility, sharpen their message, share their stories with new audiences, and advance their vision for a more just society.
What you’ll do at Sequal
- Work with labor union and other clients to execute communications strategies and campaign plans.
- Craft core campaign messaging and ensure message consistency across communications channels.
- Monitor media, summarize coverage for clients, and identify opportunities that align with client goals.
- Produce concise and effective press materials including releases, advisories, op-eds, and letters to the editor.
- Pitch stories to reporters, editors, online outlets, and other newsmakers.
- Prepare spokespeople for press interviews, events, and actions.
- Create and curate social media content and manage client social channels.
- Draft, target, and send mass emails and help administer online activist toolsets.
What we need to see in you
- Labor union experience is strongly preferred. 2-3 years’ experience working for an issue-oriented non-profit or community organization, movement, political campaign, elected official, or communications firm serving progressive organizations, will also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field. Work experience will be considered in lieu of formal education.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Commitment to understanding race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of our work.
- Proven track record of messaging across audiences with an ability to match content and tone accordingly.
- Excellent current events / news sense and political savvy.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and clients simultaneously with strict adherence to deadlines.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments.
- An understanding that clients often expect immediate responsiveness, regardless of whether or not you’re “on the clock.”
- Valid driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle.
- This is not a strictly 9am-5pm position. Because the position often directly relates to the 24-news cycle and social media environment, it will require weeknight and weekend hours.
- Travel is occasionally required around the western Pennsylvania region or to state/national conferences.
- Compensation will be based on skills and experience, with an approximate salary range of $45,000 – $50,000/year.
- Our comprehensive benefits package includes health and dental insurance, an IRA with a company match, and three weeks paid vacation to start.
- Staff is currently working remotely, though attendance at certain staff and client events is required. We have had an office in the past and plan to again, but daily office work will be negotiable.
What to send
- Cover letter and résumé
- Writing sample
- Send materials to email@example.com
Sequal Consulting is committed to building a more diverse social justice movement. Women, femmes, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Unfortunately, we cannot hire sitting elected officials in Pennsylvania due to conflicts of interest with client advocacy.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org