SLB Radio Productions, Inc. (SLB) is a non-profit that uses radio and audio to amplify voices of youth — and members of other communities whose stories are often marginalized — to educate, empower, and build community. Our work is based on the principle that all people have the capacity and right to develop their authentic voice and know that their voice matters — that they matter — and that their voice can be used for self-expression, inquiry, and change.
After years of planning, SLB launched a new 3,500 square foot Youth Media Center co-located in space we lease from the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh on the Northside. This expansion has created openings for part-time and full-time Staff Educators to join our 10-person team to lead and co-lead programs at our new facility and in the field.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Solo and team teaching of out-of-school-time, classroom, and field-trip workshops and classes for children, youth, and adults focused on using audio for self-expression, oral history, journalism, social justice, podcasting, and other applications
- Coaching and teaching middle school and high school students in classroom and individual settings in schools, community centers, and our studios
- Use and instruction on the use of audio equipment such as microphones, digital recorders, mixers, and editing software
- Packing and transporting field equipment to to provide workshops and classes as described above at remote locations
- Editing and publishing audio work products in accordance with SLB Radio standards and practices using techniques that will be learned on-the-job
- Other reasonable duties as may be required
- A passion and aptitude for working with middle and high school students
- A strong sense of empathy and the ability to prioritize and adapt to the perspectives and needs of people we serve
- A positive attitude and non-anxious presence
- A commitment to amplifying youth voice and social justice
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Impeccable interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a flexible and entrepreneurial environment (both independently and as part of a team)
- Ability to be given broad tasks, propose powerful solutions, and implement them
- Ability to work through obstacles
- An ability to thrive within the context of our core values:
- Respect: We listen and appreciate all voices.
- Authenticity: We create genuine work and act with humility.
- Collaboration: We encourage teamwork and partnerships to leverage our impact.
- Welcoming: We foster diversity and create a safe and trusted environment.
- Positivity: We bring joy to the community by showcasing creativity and ideas for a brighter future.
A college degree as well as experience in teaching, classroom management, audio collection and editing, and media creation is a plus but not necessarily required. Strong knowledge of southwestern Pennsylvania schools and community centers serving under-resourced youth and families — or a willingness to develop such knowledge — is essential. Because work is often at offsite locations, the ideal candidate will have a car for transportation with SLB Radio providing reimbursement for miles driven. While core hours are Monday through Friday with a flex-time schedule, the position will likely require evening or weekend work. State and federal background checks and clearances are required.
Full-time positions include medical, dental, vision, vacation days, personal days, parking and retirement benefits. Interested applicants can send a cover letter and resume to Larry Berger at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
SLB is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org