Southwest Pennsylvania Environmental Health Project
Defending public health in the face of oil and gas development
Job Title: Public Health Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: McMurray, PA / Pittsburgh area
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Southwest Pennsylvania Environmental Health Project (EHP) is a public health not-for-profit organization that provides wide-ranging support to communities impacted by unconventional oil and gas development (UOGD), as it has done since 2012. That support includes health impact assessments, environmental and health monitoring, data and research interpretation, and public health guidance. EHP’s team includes a varied and skilled group of health care providers, scientists, community educators, analysts, and communications experts, making the organization a national leader in the comprehensive understanding of, and approach to, the public health consequences of UOGD.
The strength of the organization lies, in part, in its direct contact with frontline community members, learning about their circumstances and responding to their needs for relevant information and guidance with interactive support programs, such as the Environmental HealthWatch Model, and interactive tools, such as the EHP AirView App. We seek to support communities more broadly by better understanding the short- and long-term health risks resulting from UOGD so we can more effectively engage in policy dialogues at the local, state, and national levels to support health-protective policy decisions.
Public Health is core to EHP’s mission, and staying current on the most recent public health information is critical to our various stakeholders, from frontline residents to policymakers. As EHP develops innovative methods of outreach and education, we will expect the Public Health Manager to support those efforts through various forms of research, likely including medical journals, public health datasets, local networks, and primary data collection. The Public Health Manager will serve as the principal point of contact on health-related initiatives and in communications with other public health organizations; ensure that the EHP team understands the implications of new research studies and medical information as they become available; and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to ensure that EHP’s approaches to education, advocacy, data analysis, and reporting are all in alignment with current health research.
Various tasks associated with this role include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as primary point of contact and EHP’s representative on health-related matters with government agencies and health-related coalitions
- Maintain research library of new papers, journals, and other research being published on UOGD and health
- Research and author literature reviews on relevant topics
- Lead EHP’s Health & Wellness team; ensure coworkers are aware of pertinent research that informs EHP’s work
- Evaluate health-related requests and opportunities for collaboration
- Support creation of “Health Impact Assessments” for communities in proximity to various types of UOGD
- Review and consolidate health intake information from HealthWatch communities
- Collaborate with the Data Scientist to effectively incorporate health information and appropriate guidance into reports and interactive tools for HealthWatch communities
- Collaborate with the Data Scientist to develop new ways of understanding the health impacts of UOGD as part of the HealthWatch framework
- Collaborate with Communications Manager and Policy Director to incorporate health research into educational initiatives for various stakeholder groups
- Regularly update EHP’s set of UOGD-related resources and reference materials, as needed
- Perform outreach to health care providers and expand EHP’s referral network; develop and maintain relationships with relevant content experts
- Support public health-related educational events as a speaker, moderator, and/or by recruiting participants
- Field general questions from residents with health concerns, referring individuals to health care providers / other resources, as needed
- Occasionally participate in data sharing with academic institutions, including managing research interns
- Provide weekly updates to the team on milestones, initiatives, and new opportunities
Core Attributes Required:
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, deadline-oriented environment with demonstrated ability to establish priorities and balance multiple, competing demands
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to broad and diverse audiences on a range of complex and technical issues
- Ability to offer creative solutions to complex problems and translate options into implementable solutions
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Proven flexibility to new challenges and situations
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- A ‘roll up your sleeves’ attitude and willingness to take initiative to address issues proactively
- Ability to strategize with fellow team members, with a focus on research and translation of findings
- High comfort level in communicating and coordinating with remote teams
- Passion for the organization’s mission to defend public health in the face of oil and gas development
Education and Experience Required:
- Master’s degree in Public Health
- Background in nursing or other medical care ideal
- Coursework in toxicology, community engagement, or environmental science a plus
- Proficiency in Zotero a plus
- Familiarity with Qualtrics a plus
Salary: Commensurate based on experience
Application Instructions: Submit cover letter explaining why this role is a good fit, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
Apply by May 24, 2021 for first round review.
All applicants and employees will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to, race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, or prior protected activity.
SWPA Environmental Health Project is a 501(c)(3) Pennsylvania Non-Profit Corporation.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org