Sweetwater Center for the Arts
Website Sweetwater Center for the Arts
Community. Classes. Culture.
Join our team and make a difference in the lives of children and adults through enriching arts education!
This position includes the management, planning, coordination and evaluation of Sweetwater’s education and outreach programming, including youth and adult classes; the production of quarterly class catalog including coordination with the graphic designer and printer; assists with marketing of programs; maintains awareness of current trends in arts education; calculates costs and maintains budgets; orders supplies and equipment; monitors, documents and communicates enrollment, cancellations, and schedules; administers and reviews course evaluations.
- FLSA Class: Exempt; full-time.
- Hours: Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Occasional nights and weekends as needed.
- Salary Range: $35,000 – $40,000/year (commensurate with education and experience)
- Clearances: Must obtain Act 34, Act 151 and Act 114 clearances upon employment.
- Coordinate course offerings for all age groups (includes: adult/child, preschool, children, teen, adult classes
and summer camps;
- Schedule classes/instructors; coordinate room availability;
- Work with Director of Finance and Operations to calculate class prices;
- Maintain awareness of current trends in arts education, management and advocacy; research competition at other art centers and community organizations;
- Online Class Management System/Registration/Website (includes entering all class data and scheduling information; update policies; calculate program hours and instructor pay;
- Manage scholarship application and award process;
- Negotiate, prepare and review instructor contracts;
- Coordinate volunteers and interns for programming needs;
- Design, administer and review class evaluations;
- Procure class supplies and equipment: art supplies, clay, glazes, etc.;
- Set-up/cleanup of classrooms during the day;
- Clean and organize downstairs classrooms, quarterly; ensure cleanliness and organization throughout quarter;
- Oversee daily summer camp operations including: check in, pre-care, lunch, after-care and check out.
- Represent Sweetwater as requested by the Director of Finance and Operations at community meetings and events.
- Determine and send weekly class reminder emails;
- Proof/edit education components of weekly e-blasts and other marketing materials.
- Coordinate staff regarding online registration system, in regard to updates and changes with registrations, etc.;
- Assist with answering phone calls; registrations; and front desk duties when needed;
- In the event of inclement weather, coordinate with Director of Finance and Operations to determine status of building operations.
- Communicate class cancellation information to students and instructors;
- Maintain instructor clearances.
- Manage planning and scheduling of outreach programs;
- In coordination with Director of Finance & Operations, set annual outreach goals and develop strategies to meet goals;
- Update outreach project budgets as part of regular reporting to Director of Finance & Operations;
- Maintain up-to-date summary report of all outreach programs;
- Develop and implement promotional plan for new outreach opportunities and actively pursue new opportunities;
- Identify relationships with new community contacts and organizations to pursue outreach programming;
- Follow-up with partner organizations at the completion of programs for evaluation purposes and possible extension of services;
- Pursue and coordinate field trip opportunities with schools and preschools with the goal of marketing Sweetwater programs to participants;
- Assist with community festivals by developing an interactive project for festival participants. Will be required to attend festivals.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Arts Management (preferred), Education or combination of arts training and professional experience.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to think creatively are essential;
- Detail-oriented; organized and possess strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to prioritize, anticipate upcoming issues, initiate processes, all while managing ongoing tasks;
- Ability to organize projects requiring both big-picture, strategic thinking as well as detail-oriented operational tasks;
- Knowledge of STEAM preferred;
- Knowledge of Pittsburgh arts community preferred;
- Ability to multi-task and basic computer knowledge (MS Office to include MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license with reliable transportation.
To apply: Please email resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references to the attention of Erin Cory, Education & Administration Manager: email@example.com with subject line “Manager of Education Programs”.
About Sweetwater Center for the Arts
Founded in 1975 in Sewickley, an idyllic suburb 11 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, PA, Sweetwater offers nearly 400 classes, workshops, and events annually in the visual, performing, literary and culinary arts for children, teens, and adults at every skill level, from beginner to master. Sweetwater’s multidisciplinary approach includes classes in ceramics/sculpture, cooking, drawing, painting, photography, jewelry & metalsmithing, fiber arts, traditional crafts as well as private music lessons.
Our vision is to thrive as a regional asset and to lead innovative, relevant arts and cultural programming throughout the region. Our values of Community, Classes, and Culture help us focus on serving communities, providing programming of the highest artistic quality, and creating an environment that supports excellence in the arts. Sweetwater passionately believes that the foundation of arts education and skill development are critical to the individual regardless of their age or career path. Through inquiry-based instruction, students explore new pathways into topics that make them more alive and relevant.
Sweetwater Center for the Arts is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org