The Citizen Science Lab is a non-profit hands-on laboratory wher
The Citizen Science Lab is a non-profit hands-on laboratory where inquisitive minds and science enthusiasts can explore the life sciences. We are open to everyone to observe and analyze through discovery-based STEM enrichment. The CSL serves the Pittsburgh region with extracurricular enrichment support via homeschool and weekend workshops, after school programs, summer camps, lab memberships, birthday parties, special initiatives to advance the interest of the black community in STEM and other events. We are primarily looking for After school instructors at this time. As you progress, you can get quickly involved in our other programs if you are interested.
Type: Part Time
Pay: $15 an hour
As an After-School Enrichment Technician, you will be running one of our XSCAPE (eXploring STEM Careers Across Professional Experimentation) after-school programs in the Pittsburgh area. Each session is two hours long and will require extra time for set up before and clean up after. You will get to go to the same schools and teach a new science topic to the mainly the same group of students every week, sometimes new students join throughout the program. Curriculum, supplies and training will be provided.
This program will take place on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 3:00pm-5:00pm (your arrival time 2:30pm) at Manchester Academic Charter School, Pittsburgh, Pa 15212. The program will take place on Wednesdays from 3:30pm-5:30pm (your arrival time 3:00pm) at Jeron X. Grayson Community Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. The program will end in June 2022, however you may be able to join another one of our programs if interested.
- Facilitate science themed programming in school and out-of-school-time settings;
- Assist in facilitating grant based initiatives
- Attend trade shows and other outreach events at schools, universities, clubs, and civic groups; conducting informational presentations/experiments on behalf of the organization.
- Keep inventory of program supplies;
- Attend all required CSL trainings and lab meetings;
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to foster positive youth-adult relationships
- Ability to work weekends
- Reliable when working independently and collaboratively
- Experience serving diverse groups of students, teachers, and community stakeholders
- Ability to obtain current PA Act 33/34 Clearances and FBI Fingerprint Background Check
- Adaptable to flexible work hours and environment with evolving program priorities
- Valid PA driver’s license and reliable access to a car is strongly preferred
- Outgoing personality
- Ability to problem solve
- Work independently and in groups
- Takes initiative, Flexibility, Creativity
Education and Experience:
- Relevant experience in youth enrichment and/or STEM education including informal settings such as after school programs or summer camps
- Currently enrolled or completed study in an institute of higher learning in one or more of the following fields:
- Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical)
- Fabrication (3D printing, CAD design)
- Drone Technology
- Environmental Sustainability
Certification / Licenses: N/A
Position Reports to: Site Manager
Physical / Mental Characteristics:
- Ability to lift 5-40 lbs, stand, carry, climb, sit for long periods using accepted ergonomic principles, work in confined space etc.
- Ability to perform fine motor skills
- Ability to use a computer for entering or retrieving data
- Excellent hand-eye coordination
NOTE: The above description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The Citizen Science Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The CSL expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com