The Citizen Science Lab is a non-profit hands-on laboratory wher
Position Reports to: CEO and Vice President
Type: Salary, Full Time
Managing the schedule, teaching staff, volunteers, supplies, laboratories for The Citizen Science Lab educational programs. This includes but is not limited to the homeschool and afterschool programs, weekend workshops, in-person/cyber/off-site field trips, initiatives, lab memberships, and special events.
- Works closely with the Vice President in learning all aspects of management, including administrative and financial duties.
- Provides TCSL support concerning public communication and administrative work pertaining to registration and payment, registration confirmations, refunds, etc.
- Act as building liaison for day-to-day maintenance requests (i.e. hanging pictures, requesting supplies for restrooms, lights out, etc.).
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Inspects the laboratory on a daily basis.
- Responds to customer inquiries via telephone, email, social media
- Answers, screens, and routes incoming calls and messages; greets, screens, and directs visitors to appropriate staff members when the Administrative Assistant is not available
- Checks for incoming mail and packages and distributes as needed when Administrative Assistant is not available.
- Responsible for opening, stamping/coding, and submitting all bills for approval in a timely manner.
- Performs routine clerical functions, such as copying, sorting, filing, and typing.
- Familiarity with social media platforms including Zoom meetings/webinars and other internet-based methods of learning and communication.
- Completes employee evaluations annually, documentation of disciplinary actions/warnings, employee improvement plans; tracks leave of absence.
- Maintains records and documentation for employees.
- Compiles and shares data collected from program participants as requested
- Assists with the development and administration of the program budget.
- Supports overall marketing efforts and offers input and suggestions in regards.
- Ensures program compliance with state requirements.
- Assists in recruitment and hiring of most qualified applicants.
- Conducts orientation and trains new hires with the assistance of the Lead Instructor in the execution of daily tasks.
- Maximizes sales and measures sales performance on a regular basis.
- Facilitates communication between upper management and staff.
- Assists in solving site problems that affect site service and efficiency.
- Demonstrates an understanding of financial and operational reporting requirements.
- Collects payments from clients.
- Assists in the processing, monitoring, and recording of purchase orders and invoices.
- Maintains general working knowledge of state laws in regard to business operations.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Planning & Coordination
- Creates an enthusiastic, welcoming, hands-on learning environment
- Works closely with the Lead Instructor to schedule and coordinate all TCSL education events, including but not limited to homeschool and afterschool programs, weekend workshops, in-person/cyber/off-site field trips, initiatives, and lab memberships.
- Designs on-site and off-site education activities with budget limitations in mind and maintains records of all expenditures and receipts for various programs.
- Develops and implements an annual plan that outlines the overall staff and volunteer needs for the site.
- Ensures staff and volunteers are placed and trained to carry out programs.
- Oversees and manages full-time and part-time employee schedules.
- Responsible for conducting programs or events if no other employees are available.
- Manages program evaluations and ensures all pre and post-assessments are completed to comply with grants requirements.
- Meets with Lead Instructor to assess student learning.
- Evaluates all programs, assess outcomes, and prepares reports to be submitted to upper management as requested.
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Creates the plan for all off-site programming events, including curriculum, supplies, and staffing
- Manages and updates online program listings and curriculum when needed.
- Develops education programs for various partners and monitors the working of all personnel for various programs, prepares schedules for all classes, and drafts all course content for all education instructors.
- Input by the Lead Instructor for course content is encouraged.
- Attends all required TCSL training and lab meetings.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Relationship Management & Stewardship
- Represents the organization in a professional manner at all times.
- Responds to service requests and various concerns as required. Develops annual school engagement plans with TCSL partner schools, including new and current partners, community organizations, and summer programs.
- Develops and maintains relationships with new and existing partners and provides them with educational services that ensure satisfaction.
- Develops profitable and sustainable growth of all assigned educational contracts.
- Identifies new business opportunities, initiating communication with decision-makers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with partners.
- Conducts reviews on contracts on a regular basis to evaluate partners’ needs to match with appropriate services.
- Conducts regular reviews of activities to enhance and identify development potential.
- Manages day-to-day partner communications and relationships.
- Assists in recruiting students for initiatives and programs.
- Maintain communication with parents to inform them of any schedule changes, and upcoming events.
- Plans and coordinates staff development activities, parent education, and parent involvement activities.
- Meets with parents to discuss the child’s progress and to provide counsel or advice as appropriate.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to gain Act 33 Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance; Act 34 Pennsylvania Criminal History Clearance; Act 114 FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check.
- Valid PA driver’s license and reliable access to a car is strongly preferred.
- Experience serving diverse groups of students, teachers, and community stakeholders with an ability to foster positive relationships.
- Ability to work under high demand with superior organizational skills and proven ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Commitment to TCSL’s values of collaboration, trust, racial justice, community, and accountability.
- Adaptable to flexible work hours and the environment with evolving program priorities.
- Exhibits polite and professional communication via phone, e-mail, and mail. Excellent customer service approach, able to communicate in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner.
- Able to deal with, and adapt to, complexities related to varying agendas, priorities, personalities, etc.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently in a reliable manner, with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of business processes and procedures with knowledge of basic accounting and financial principles and functions.
- Computer literate and ability to troubleshoot computer/technology issues.
- Ability to perform advanced functions in Apple Suite products and MS Suite products, electronic mail/calendar, spreadsheet, presentation, and database/finance software.
- Good project management and execution skills with proactive, problem-solving skills
- Sensitivity to confidential information and matters is required.
- Strong public speaking and and written communication skills
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology (any STEM related field) or Laboratory Management is preferred
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in lab management, mentoring or youth enrichment and/or STEM education including informal settings such as after school programs or summer camps
- 1-2+ years of relevant biological science experience
Certification / Licenses:
Physical / Mental Characteristics:
- Ability to lift 5-40 lbs, stand, carry, climb, sit for long periods using accepted ergonomic principles, work in confined space etc.
- Ability to perform fine motor skills
- Ability to use a computer for entering or retrieving data
- Excellent hand-eye coordination
NOTE: The above description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The Citizen Science Lab is a non-profit hands-on laboratory where inquisitive minds and science enthusiasts can explore the life sciences. We are open to everyone to observe and analyze through discovery-based STEM enrichment. TCSL serves the Pittsburgh region with extracurricular enrichment support via homeschool and weekend workshops, after-school programs, summer camps, lab memberships, birthday parties, and other events.
The Citizen Science Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The CSL expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org