The Global Switchboard
Website The Global Switchboard
Stewarding a network to promote equitable global engagement.
The next leader of The Global Switchboard is:
- A creative and dynamic manager with a passion for institution-building;
- A skilled convener and experienced fundraiser;
- A passionate advocate for social justice and a dignified life for everyone in our community.
About the Switchboard
The Global Switchboard (501(c)3) stewards a diverse network of people and organizations to transform the Pittsburgh region into a more globally engaged and equitable community. We do this by convening and supporting action-oriented coalitions, offering timely community programming related to the work of those coalitions, and generating data-driven assessments of global engagement in our region. We aim to bring people together in the pursuit of greater social justice in Pittsburgh and beyond.
The Global Switchboard seeks a full-time Executive Director (ED) to lead the organization. An ideal ED candidate brings a global perspective and keen intercultural awareness to local leadership and advocacy challenges. They have professional experience advancing equitable global engagement through activities that are inclusive, socially responsible, and attuned to the realities of structural injustice. Given the organization’s commitment to network stewardship, an ideal candidate demonstrates exceptional skills in facilitation and community building. To help further the strategic vision of The Global Switchboard, they bring polItical advocacy experience and have strong working relationships with leaders in local government. Relevant fields of experience include global education, immigrant and refugee inclusion, or local and international community development, among others.
The ED works collaboratively with the Board of Directors to set and execute vision and strategy for Switchboard development and to ensure the organization’s growth and financial stability.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish strategic direction – charts and commits to a course of action to accomplish a goal or vision after analyzing context and assumptions, taking into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Sell the vision – passionately represents organizational strategy, creates a clear view of desired outcomes, and helps others imagine a future where the vision is realized.
- Influence others – uses appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to win acceptance of ideas or plans; modifies behavior and approach in response to tasks, situations, and individuals involved.
- Read the environment – analyzes and navigates organizational and community dynamics in establishing strategy, selling the vision, and influencing others.
- Mobilize a team – uses appropriate methods and interpersonal skills to develop, motivate and guide a team toward successful outcomes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- (Inter)Cultural competence is essential!
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people and to build relationships which can be leveraged to benefit the organization.
- Strong organizational management skills with the ability to set and achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget.
- Demonstrated success working with a Board of Directors, including cultivating existing board relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communication ability; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Energetic, adaptable, and innovative approach to organizational planning.
- Positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
This position is fully remote; candidates in, or familiar with, Pittsburgh preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary is $72,000 / year with a competitive benefits package, including medical/dental/vision, retirement account matching, and a generous schedule of paid vacation and holidays.
The Global Switchboard’s compensation philosophy serves as a demonstration of the organization’s commitment to transparency and its employees. Starting salaries are based on a review of comparable positions in nonprofits in Allegheny County and relevant experience and qualification.
How to Apply
Email your resume, cover letter, and name and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
The Global Switchboard is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated on the basis of personal skill and on the basis of their ability to help the organization realize its vision and mission. The Global Switchboard’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, job assignments, promotions, working conditions, scheduling, benefits, wage and salary administration, disciplinary action, termination, and social, educational, and recreational programs.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org