The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh (“The Federation”) is looking for a dynamic and experienced Chief Financial Officer to join its management team with its current CFO retiring after 34 years of service.
The Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) is the chief fiscal and administrative officer of the Federation. The CFO is responsible for developing the overall financial and operational strategy in accordance with and in service to the Federation’s overall mission and strategy.
The CFO assumes a strategic role in the overall management of the organization in financial decision-making that affects the delivery of desired results through empowerment, development and utilization of people, processes and technology to guide the organization into the second half of the 21st century. In all functions and responsibilities, the CFO must provide the highest level of client service and responsiveness to all stakeholders of the Federation.
The CFO must provide leadership, embody the highest level of integrity, transparency, and creativity to forecast financial growth while ensuring the Federation remains fiscally solvent to serve the community.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh is the central fundraising and community planning organization for the Pittsburgh Jewish community. In addition to its annual campaign of close to $14 million, the Federation operates a foundation with over $270 million in assets. We provide funding to local and overseas partner agencies, as well as independent programs that provide education, health, and human welfare services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serve as a business partner to the CEO regarding the organization’s financials, business planning, budgeting, administrative processes, and practices while focusing on continuously developing and improving systems.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Oversee the adequacy and ensure the integrity of the organization’s financial structure.
- Manage Finance and Information Technology departments.
- Create a collaborative culture across all departments that fosters a not-for-profit mindset while ensuring all stakeholders are valued.
- Identify and manage business risks and insurance requirements including the Jewish Community Health Plan (JCHP).
- Serve as a key member of Federation’s management team, the CFO is a strategic partner and leader charged with fiscal management and operations of the Federation.
- Direct the preparation of all financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, tax returns, and governmental agency reports.
- Work closely with the Controller to prepare, present, and explain the operating results and the financial reports to leadership.
- Ensure strong compliance and governance in all finance and operational activities.
- Administer budgeting processes, financial forecasting, and cash flow.
- Manage and oversee the relationship with independent auditors, as well as engaging outside consultants.
- Develop strong relationships with local bankers and other financial and legal professionals.
- Serve as the primary agency contact for all contractual matters and new vendor business development.
- Work with the CEO and others on the leadership team to analyze fiscal operations to identify areas in need of reorganization, downsizing, or elimination.
- Work collaboratively with volunteer leadership that includes: Finance, Investment and Audit committees.
- Directly engage with donors and provides support to Financial Resource Development staff.
- Work with the Planning department on funding and allocations.
- Assist the Federation’s eight beneficiary agencies with financial matters.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Federation’s business strategy.
- Oversee the Accounting department, budget preparation, and audit functions.
- Work with other department heads to monitor each department’s budget and make recommendations.
- Present key performance indicators (KPI’s) to the CEO to ensure Federation objectives are met.
- In collaboration with the IT department, explore areas for improvement of the current information system to support the Federation’s mission, while improving donor CRM and other reporting mechanisms to propose technological changes to be implemented.
- Work with Federation’s measurement functions; help develop data collection standards and data reporting outcomes to be used in decision-making processes at Federation.
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with an emphasis in Excel.
- Excellent relationship management, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Exceptional leadership and management skills.
- Outstanding analytical, strategic planning, decision making, and problem-solving skills.
- Expertise in finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles.
- Experienced in developing, implementing, and assessing short and long-term activities.
- Proficient in database and accounting computer application systems.
- Knowledge of GAAP.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to delegate, motivate and inspire team members.
- Respect for Jewish values and practices.
- High level of integrity, rigor, and discretion.
EDUCATION, TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance preferred.
- Ten years of pertinent experience in a Non-profit charitable, Corporate or Entrepreneurial environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORKING CONDITIONS
The nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. This role will have prolonged periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer. It also requires the ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, and prepare work documents. Due to the nature of this role a high level of confidentiality and ethical integrity is required. Work is performed in a general office environment, currently employees are working remotely. This position does not require heavy lifting over 15 pounds or standing for extended periods.
This job description is not designed to cover all responsibilities, duties or activities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities are subject to change. New duties may be assigned at any time with or without notice in accordance with the needs of Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh.
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org