Job Description and Expectations
Purpose: Oversee the fiscal administration of The ToonSeum as well as advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and promotion of The ToonSeum so as to support the organization’s mission and future needs.
Mission: The ToonSeum exists to utilize the art and creation of comics as a bridge between the physical, creative, and cultural neighborhoods of Pittsburgh. We aim to proactively increase creative and educational participation in the graphic-prose arts: comic books, graphic novels, comic strips, comics journalism, political cartoons, and web comics. Our mission of expanding readership, nurturing creators, and providing resources for academics, scholars, and teachers intentionally aims to reach audiences that have been historically underserved, thus building an even more vibrant, inclusive arts community.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Committee and Chair of Finance Committee
- Lead and work with the Finance Committee, board, and staff, to develop the annual budget; provide annual budget to the board for members’ approval
- Reconcile monthly expenses of the organization (payroll, assets storage)
- Prepare or assist with all annual filings of the organization (IRS form 990, other taxes, and state charitable registration filings)
- Work to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the board on a timely basis
- Work with the Finance Committee, Board President, and the Executive Director to develop long-term financial strategies
- Work with the Finance Committee and the Executive Director to develop Fiscal Policies for recommendation to the Board to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization
- Review the annual audit and answer board members’ questions about the audit
- Lead in managing risk and safeguarding your organization’s assets, data, and personal information (e.g.: volunteer screening, vehicle use, special events)
- Staying informed of legal, regulatory and sector developments relating to the Board’s financial responsibilities
- Participate in annual fundraising planning and support the board in achieving its fundraising goals
- Support recruitment of board, committee members, and succeeding Treasurer
- Train finance committee members and succeeding Treasurer
- Attend at least 75% of the regular meetings of the board
Length of term: Three (3) years
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors currently meets every four weeks. Meetings typically are held on Thursdays, begin at 6:30pm and last approximately 90 minutes.
- Committees of the board meet when necessary at the discretion of the Committee chair, pending their respective work agenda. Time commitment varies depending on programming and events, approximately 1-2 hours per month.
- The board of directors currently holds short twice-weekly conference calls (Stand Up/Sit Down sessions) to check in on immediate activities. Calls last approx. 15 min.
- Board members are expected to attend special events as they are determined.
* * * * *
The ToonSeum is dedicated to community representation in its leadership, and encourages applicants from all backgrounds including (but not limited to) all gender identities, People of Color, the LGBTQ community, and people with disabilities.
Service on The ToonSeum’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org