Title: Paddle Sports Manager
Reports to: Program Director
Hours: Full-Time, Exempt
Salary: $32,000-$40,000 annually
Venture Outdoors believes everyone deserves to experience how incredibly fun the outdoors can be, so the organization provides the gear, guidance, and inspiration to make outdoor recreation part of people’s lives.
The Paddle Sports Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of Kayak Pittsburgh, which includes three concessions, and other paddling programs and pop-up events that annually provide over 40,000 paddling experiences in the region. The individual hires, trains, and evaluates all Kayak Pittsburgh staff and is responsible for maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. The Paddle Sports Manager is required to attend the American Canoe Association Kayaking Certification Course. The following are the responsibilities that have been initially defined; however, flexibility, positivity, and a willingness to participate in the development of the organization are needed to succeed in this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Kayak Pittsburgh concessions.
- Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate all Kayak Pittsburgh staff including Supervisors, Assistant Supervisors and Attendants.
- Work with the Equipment and Facilities Manager to ensure that all equipment and supplies needed for efficient operations are available and ready for use.
- Oversee all staff scheduling and ensure that appropriate hiring paperwork for seasonal staff is completed and processed with the Operations Coordinator.
- Working with Site Supervisors and the Finance Team, maintain daily financial information for all concessions. This includes tracking goods and services sold each day and the income produced from those sales.
- Solicit and develop partnerships with organizations and outside vendors to maintain and improve operations and establish promotional activities throughout the season.
- Review and negotiate all contracts for Kayak Pittsburgh and work with the Executive Director to re-apply for annual renewals as needed (Allegheny County, SEA, etc.).
- Continually develop and review trends in the market to ensure Kayak Pittsburgh is offering the latest paddle sports opportunities for customers.
- Work to develop a robust year-round training program for paddle sports.
- Assist in developing additional public kayaking programs and events.
- Manage technology and work with staff to implement efficient practices for communications, equipment rentals, and customer Assumption of Risk Forms (E-Waivers).
- Work with Communications and Media Manager to recruit, interview, train, and manage an annual Kayak Pittsburgh Marketing Intern.
- Review and approve all payroll records for Kayak Pittsburgh staff as well as financial data to Operations Coordinator.
- Annually review and update the Kayak Pittsburgh employee and operations manual as needed. § Occasionally cover shifts at the Kayak Pittsburgh concessions.
- Represent Venture Outdoors on the Pittsburgh Safe Boating Council and other waterways committees.
- Serve on the internal Risk Management Committee to ensure up-todate safety standards and practices are implemented and followed at Kayak Pittsburgh concessions.
- Implement technology tools at Kayak Pittsburgh that integrate with Venture Outdoors (i.e., Salesforce, Point of Sale System, E-Waivers, and payroll system).
- Undergraduate degree in business, management or a related field required. Equivalent experience accepted.
- 3-5 years of experience in staff recruitment, hiring, training, and management required.
- Proficiency in Point of Sales systems, Microsoft Office and knowledge of Salesforce for Nonprofits desired.
- Management and retail/concession experience desired.
- Knowledge of kayaking and recreational paddling sports preferred.
- Attend and pass American Canoe Association kayaking course (can obtain after start date).
- A valid driver’s license and willingness to use personal vehicle for work as needed.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and carry up to 200 feet repeatedly.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications. Wilderness First Aid or higher preferred (can obtain upon hiring).
- Must obtain PA State Act 33/34 Clearances and pass an FBI background check.
- Ability to work flexible hours and evening and weekend hours may apply.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to lead, motivate, and manage 50+ seasonal staff.
- Demonstrated willingness and commitment to uphold all Venture Outdoors’ policies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex logistics in an organized fashion.
- Strong communication skills and a strong work ethic are necessary for success in this role.
- Ability to occasionally drive vehicle and operate a trailer.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please reference “Paddle Sports Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org