Website Venture Outdoors
INSPIRE. EDUCATE. EQUIP.
Location: South Side, with field work throughout the Pittsburgh Area
Reports to: President & CEO
Employee Status: Full time, Regular, Salaried, Non-Exempt, Benefits
Hours: 40 hours per week, flexible schedule including weekdays, evenings, and weekends
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm August 12, 2021. Relevant candidates will be contacted for first interviews after that date.
Venture Outdoors is a nonprofit organization dedicated to removing barriers and creating access to outdoor experiences. We provide a variety of experiences that inspire an active lifestyle, promote the region’s unique natural amenities, and foster a greater appreciation for the environment.
The Program Manager is responsible for facilitating and managing Venture Outdoors volunteer trip leaders. This position works with community partners and trip leaders to schedule outings for the Activities calendar. This position will focus on Community and Mature Adult programming. The Program Manager will work to create activity specific groups and help volunteer leaders implement trips on the Activities calendar. The Program Manager cultivates and nurtures existing program partnerships with land managers, businesses, and guest speakers. The following are the responsibilities that have been initially defined; however, flexibility, positivity, and a willingness to participate in the development of the department is needed to succeed in this position.
- Oversee the recruitment, training and retention of 150+ volunteer trip leaders;
- Develop a robust volunteer recruitment, training and retention program;
- Develop communities of volunteers utilizing outreach and communication strategies;
- Develop program details in tandem with volunteer leadership ensuring safe and fun trips;
- Document trip plans for all Community and Mature Adult trips;
- Assist with evaluating program execution and participant satisfaction;
- Respond to participant and trip leader questions, criticisms, and evaluation feedback;
- Working in tandem with volunteers, overseeing the implementation of outings;
- Manage the activities calendar on the website including posting trips, trip descriptions, registration, etc.;
- Project manage any foundation-supported initiatives to ensure that programming meets the objectives of the grant;
- Manage the Community Program and Mature Adult program budgets;
- Lead Outdoor Leadership Training and activity-specific trainings;
- Act as the “on-call” contact for outings and events conducted after business hours and on weekends;
- Assist with special projects and activities for organization-wide events, such as festivals and member events;
- Be familiar with and follow all Venture Outdoors trip leader guidelines;
- Lead or assist on outings and events as necessary;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience communicating with volunteers, as well as implementing volunteer recruitment and retention systems;
- Interpersonal and conflict management skills required;
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines in a continually changing work environment;
- Ability to work well independently and be part of a team;
- Demonstrated willingness and commitment to uphold all Venture Outdoors’ policies;
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex logistics in an organized fashion.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications*. Wilderness First Aid or higher preferred*.
- PA State Child Abuse, Criminal Background Clearances, and FBI Background check* (a finding on the Criminal Background Clearances is not automatic disqualification, but rather a conversation starter.)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft 365 components.
- A reliable form of transportation.
- Completion of Venture Outdoors’ Outdoor Leadership Training*
*Can acquire upon accepting position
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurances
- 15 days paid vacation annually; 8 days paid sick time annually
- 10 paid holidays annually (these days are not prescribed by Venture Outdoors but provided to employees to use as they wish to best fit their values and beliefs).
- 8 hours of paid volunteer time per month to be used as employees see fit
- All primary and general election days are paid time off
- Parental Leave program
- Paid winter shutdown between December 26th and January 1st
- Paid professional development
- Flexible work environment
- Free kayaking!
Venture Outdoors is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Venture Outdoors Staff Equity Statement
We commit to the equitable treatment of our colleagues, participants, and community members by valuing their rights, dignity, voice, and expression.
We welcome and respect the diversity of individuality such as race, sex, gender identity, ability, culture, and religion.
We recognize the human right for all individuals to be respected and accepted without bias.
We commit to an organizational responsibility to build individual and community respect, dignity, fairness, care, and equality.
We strive to understand the role our system plays in perpetuating exclusion, and to address the dynamics that support it.
We understand that accountability is mutual and reciprocal in order to continually learn and improve.
We believe that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion extends beyond the workplace and encourage all to continue personal development alongside the organization.
We require organizational staff and participants to encourage a culture of belonging and consider the entire experience and the ecosystem that supports.
We will not tolerate explicit and implicit forms of racism, sexism, classism, xenophobia, ageism, and/or ableism.
We will not accept the use of racial or gender biases and require staff to implement inclusionary practices within their duties and program design.
To apply for this job please visit ventureoutdoors.org.