The Westmoreland Museum of American Art offers a place to share compelling and meaningful cultural experiences that open the door to new ideas, perspectives and possibilities. Located in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, The Westmoreland is the only museum dedicated to American art in western Pennsylvania. The Museum’s extraordinary permanent collection, with its strong focus on the art and artists of Southwestern Pennsylvania, is complemented by an impressive schedule of temporary exhibitions — both nationally traveling and those organized in house — as well as community-oriented programming and special events. The Westmoreland is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for its staff, visitors, volunteers, vendors and community.
The Westmoreland is seeking an exceptional retail management professional to join our team in the role of Museum Shop Manager. The Museum Shop plays an important part in a visitor’s overall museum experience. The Museum Shop Manager strives to meet and exceed visitors’ expectations through effective merchandising and by providing excellent customer service.
This full-time staff member reports to the Director of Advancement and is responsible for all aspects of the operation of the Museum Shop including sales, inventory, staff and volunteer management, customer service, scheduling, product ordering, pricing, storage, online sales, merchandising, wholesale and distribution.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Shop Management & Achievement of Sales Goals:
- Greets customers, assists them in shopping, recommends items for purchase, rings up purchases, answers the phone and sends out products ordered.
- Reconciles receipts and makes weekly bank deposits.
- Supervises staff and volunteers by training, scheduling and monitoring job duties.
- Oversees merchandizing the store.
- Builds and preserves positive relationships with consignment artists and maintains accurate sales records and inventory.
- Maintains accurate records and initiates reports for sales, expenses, and inventory levels by following internal policies and procedures.
- Maintains and updates the online store.
- Updates and maintains the point of sale system including receiving operations and inventory control. Follows internal policies and procedures to perform job functions.
- Conducts product research concerning product offerings.
- Works with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations and the Director of Advancement to develop marketing and promotional material; planning for the annual holiday mart and the promotion of other shop events.
- Works closely with Director of Advancement to prepare annual budget.
- At least five years of experience in retail management – experience in a museum store or nonprofit retail environment preferred.
- Accurate cash handling and reconciling required. Proficient in basic accounting.
- Highly proficient with Point of Sale retail systems, MS Excel and MS Word.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds for activities related to receiving, storage and shipping of merchandise.
- Ability to climb a ladder to store, retrieve or merchandise Shop items.
- Must following internal policies and procedures for safely performing Shop functions.
Working Conditions: Retail space environment
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org