Wilkinsburg Community Development Corporation
Website Wilkinsburg Community Development Corporation
The Director of Economic Development supports the Wilkinsburg Community Development Corporation (WCDC) mission to drive economic development in Wilkinsburg with an emphasis on strengthening the Central Business District. The Director will play a critical role in partnering with the Executive Director (ED) and WCDC Boards of Directors in strategic decision making as WCDC continues to enhance its strategic plan and vision for Wilkinsburg.
The Director of Economic Development will be an experienced manager who reports to the ED.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, goal-oriented and optimistic, and will support the WCDC in the following areas: real estate development, business district design, and promotion and marketing.
The WCDC was formed in 2008 to foster positive community and economic development in the Borough of Wilkinsburg. Over the past decade, as a Main Street America accredited organization, WCDC has championed efforts to stabilize and transform the community in partnership with the Borough of Wilkinsburg and other local, regional and state agencies dedicated to strengthening Wilkinsburg. The WCDC’s six-year strategic plan includes significant economic development projects, such as the current restoration of the Wilkinsburg Train Station and the Lohr Building.
The mission of WCDC is to drive economic development in Wilkinsburg with an emphasis on strengthening the Central Business District.
Three Major Strategic Initiatives:
- Business District Prosperity – facilitating the redevelopment of the Wilkinsburg business district, its regional identity and assisting the businesses that call it home.
- Community Vitality – working in partnership with the Borough of Wilkinsburg, residents, business owners and other community stakeholders to tackle issues that challenge us in ways that will enhance success for all.
- Organizational Excellence – operating our community development corporation with efficiency and effectiveness to enable long-term impact.
The Director of Economic Development will implement strategic priorities related to business and real estate development, which include: renovating key anchor properties, improving Main Street design and aesthetics and building a positive reputation and brand for Wilkinsburg’s Business
The Director of Economic Development position is a full-time position and requires attendance at all WCDC staff meetings, WCDC affiliate entity board meetings and economic development committee meetings. This position reports to the WCDC Executive Director (ED).
Director of Economic Development Responsibilities:
- Provide comprehensive assistance in the renovation and restoration of key properties in Wilkinsburg’s Central Business District.
- Oversee façade, vacant storefront and anchor building redevelopment assistance.
- Market for sale/for rent commercial properties through WCDC website and advertising.
- Coordinate brand and image development for the Wilkinsburg Business District.
- Increase food and restaurant presence and support the expansion of nighttime activities.
- Manage program and project budgets, financing and reporting of economic development initiatives.
Evaluation and Reporting
- Track our organizational strategic plan progress and make updates quarterly.
- Evaluate market data, property sales, public and private investment and business and employment data. Develop reports for funders, key stakeholders and investors.
- Maintain comprehensive business district property database.
- Update Neighborhood Partnership Plan community impact metrics annually.
Grant writing and Research
- Identify and complete grant applications to attract resources for business and real estate development priorities.
- Evaluate potential funding opportunities and assess revenue generation practices in business districts such as Business Improvement Districts, Fee-for-Service models or membership fees.
- Education – Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred in Business Management, Public Administration, Urban Planning Real Estate, Economics, Finance or a related field.
- Experience – Three or more years in business development, real estate development and/or community development or a related field. Demonstrated successful grant writing history, experience a plus.
Interested parties please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and three references to:
Wilkinsburg Community Development Corporation
729 Wood St.
Wilkinsburg, PA 15221
Applications are due by October 29, 2021
The Wilkinsburg Community Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com