Winchester Thurston School
Website Winchester Thurston School
Winchester Thurston is a PreK - 12 independent school.
Winchester Thurston School, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 independent school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for a Lower School Spanish Teacher (long-term substitute) from late March through June 4, 2021. This is a part-time (.60 FTE) position. The Lower School Spanish Teacher provides in-person instruction and supervision for students in grades 1 through 5. The successful candidate must understand the emotional and educational needs of young children, be able to effectively communicate with them, and respond appropriately to individual differences in children. The Lower School Spanish Teacher is responsible for planning lessons, teaching a specific number of classes, and maintaining discipline. The individual must work as a team member with teaching colleagues and administrators.
- Teach grades 1 – 5 Spanish classes, managing the curriculum, discipline, and classroom community and environment
- Plan and execute lessons, using varied methods of instruction and assessment, that are in accord with divisional curriculum and the school’s educational philosophy
- Work as a team member with teaching colleagues and administrators by attending all school-wide meetings, department meetings, Lower School faculty meetings, and in-service days, and serving on committees as needed
- Maintain an appropriate and organized classroom environment with an emphasis on child safety and well-being
- Communicate regularly with parents in an effective and timely manner through a variety of means, including email, telephone, student progress reports, and parent notices
- Assist the admission process by meeting with prospective families, attending admission events, and helping screen prospective candidates for admission
- Complete student assessment reports (e.g., grades reports, interim comments, etc.) in accordance with school guidelines and the deadlines established by the Lower School Division Director
- Fulfill duties that are connected with non-academic responsibilities, including but not limited to, taking attendance, lunch and recess duties, chaperoning field trips, after-school events or grade-level trips, and other assigned duties
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Spanish or Education
- Strong command of Spanish language, appropriate pedagogy related to language acquisition, and experience teaching Spanish
- Experience teaching in an elementary setting; three years of experience preferred
- Strong communication skills for working effectively with colleagues and parents
- Ability to utilize educational technology in the classroom
- Educational philosophy that is consistent with that of the School
- Responsive Classroom experience is preferred
Applicants may apply at https://www.applitrack.com/winchesterthurston/onlineapp and will need to submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for 3 professional references.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.