Winchester Thurston School
Website Winchester Thurston School
Winchester Thurston is a PreK - 12 independent school.
Winchester Thurston School, a nationally recognized and innovative Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 independent day school in Pittsburgh, has an immediate opening for an experienced full-time Upper School Counselor.
The Upper School Counselor provides leadership and professional expertise in promoting and enhancing success for students in grades 9 – 12. The successful candidate will engage in a team approach with colleagues, students and parents to guide student support, fostering a shared view of academic, cognitive, social and emotional perspectives. The Upper School Counselor will respond to identified personal, social and emotional needs of students, manage crisis situations, and establish and implement educational and preventive services for students, parents, and faculty.
The Upper School Counselor performs under the general direction of the Head of School and under the supervision of the Director of Upper School. The individual in this position will also work closely with the Upper School Dean of Students, the Middle School Counselor, the Director of Support Services, other administrators, faculty, students, and parents.
The Upper School Counselor is responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Serve as a trusted and confidential counselor and resource for students and families in the areas of academic, social, emotional, and mental health issues
- Consult with the Director of Support Services, the Upper School Division Director, the Dean of Students, faculty advisors and other administrators and faculty regarding student problems or concerns, as needed and/or requested
- Provide crisis assessment and management for students in grades 9 – 12, and to the school community, as needed
- Develop, coordinate and/or teach courses/programs in the Upper School related to wellness, including topics such as suicide prevention, personal safety, the Talk sex education program, and other identified issues
- Establish and manage student support groups to address identified issues, as needed
- Provide crisis counseling to students individually or in groups with identified needs and concerns
- Collaborate with and make referrals to appropriate community support providers/resources for students and families
- Develop programming, in conjunction with Upper School Directors, to assist Upper School students with learning how to resolve conflict and navigate social dynamics
- Develop and facilitate education programs for parents and faculty related to adolescent development , behavior management, and social, emotional, and mental well-being
- Maintain counseling records in accordance with professional standards
- Engage in professional-growth activities through continuing education and reviewing current research and literature
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Licensure/certification in counseling (e.g., Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LSW), School Counselor with Secondary Certification, or other applicable certification)
- 3-5 years of experience working with a diverse population of adolescents and teenagers
- Strong knowledge of student mental health issues and adolescent development
- Experience in managing a wide variety of difficult and confidential situations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively in group and one-on-one settings
- Demonstrated experience in planning and facilitating programs and collaborating with students, parents, colleagues, and external resources
Applicants may apply at https://www.applitrack.com/winchesterthurston/onlineapp and will need to submit a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for 3 professional references.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.