Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pgh
Website Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pgh
(40 Hours; Evening hours, including one weekend evening; Filling two positions: Sunday – Thursday 2pm – 10pm AND Tuesday – Saturday 4pm – 12am)
WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program serving over 8,000 adult and child survivors of domestic violence annually & facilitating intervention groups to over 500 men who batter. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, guiding principles, and values, as well as the tenets of Women’s Center Business System (WCBS), and are sensitive to cultural and workplace harmony and infusing principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) into their daily interactions with clients and co-workers.
SUMMARY: Provides direct service and advocacy for Shelter and Hotline clients.
REPORTS TO: Resident Relations Supervisor
- Maintains building security at all times and assures confidentiality of residents
- Provides intake interviews with residents to identify individual needs
- Works with residents on meeting basic daily needs
- Facilitates DV educational support groups for residents
- Assists with training substitutes, volunteers and interns for Shelter work
- Provides support to substitutes, volunteers and interns in Shelter
- Provides individual advocacy and case management for assigned residents, following the Specialized Team Case Management model described below. Note that these roles are delineated for ease of service provision; however, each team member will need to perform all roles at some point:
- Economic Empowerment Advocate: Responsible for Housing Advocacy, Career/Education Advocacy, and Advocacy related to Benefits and Income.
- Safety Advocate: Responsible for Safety Planning and Goal Planning on an ongoing basis and serving as a liaison to the Legal Advocacy Department.
- Specialized Services Advocate: Responsible for Advocacy related to Alcohol and Other Drugs, Health, LGBTQ issues, Cultural/Language issues, and Pet issues (and any other specialized issues that arise for the resident), and serving as a liaison to the Clinical Supervisor and the CYF Program.
- Provides crisis counseling, safety planning, information and referrals to all callers
- Assists with training substitutes, volunteers and interns for Hotline work
- Provides support to volunteers, substitutes and interns in Hotline
All Advocates have the following combined responsibilities:
- Maintains strict confidentiality of clients, residents, and location
- Documents and enters accurate client information and systems advocacy and submits in a timely manner
- Meets regularly with Resident Relations Supervisor to review, receive and prioritize tasks and discuss issues/problems of the Shelter and Hotline departments
- Advocates for victims of IPV, using the Justice, Autonomy, Restoration and Safety model (JARS) and the Sanctuary Model
- Performs other duties and assigned by your supervisor
- Degree in social work/social sciences
- 1-3 years in direct service in a human service agency
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to change
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Sensitive to domestic violence and cultural diversity issues
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Windows, Outlook and Word
- FBI and Act 33/34 Clearances
Salary starts low $30,000s annually plus excellent benefits.
Women’s Center & Shelter is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign and reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
*Send resume and cover letter to Director of Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1, 2019.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com