Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
Website Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
About the organization. WC&S is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over 7,500 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to over 500 people who are abusive. We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and empowerment for anyone affected by domestic violence. Our Mission is to strengthen our ability to meet the individual and evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity, Survivor-Centered Advocacy, and Stewardship.
About the role. As a Staff Attorney in Women’s Center & Shelter’s Civil Law Project (CLP) in Downtown Pittsburgh, you will be part of a dynamic and fast-paced nonprofit law project. Your primary role will be to provide direct civil legal representation to victims of intimate partner violence in family law cases. Additionally, you will participate in the work of WC&S to improve the justice system’s response to victims of intimate partner violence. The preferred candidate has a Law Degree and is licensed to practice law in PA, has courtroom experience, and is knowledgeable about legal issues affecting victims of intimate partner violence. This role will provide you with the opportunity to develop your legal skills and knowledge, communication, and advocacy. If you are excited to play a key role in a supportive and fast-paced nonprofit law project, care deeply about the issue of intimate partner violence, and are ready to make a difference in your community, then we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here’s what you will do:
- Provide civil legal representation to victims of intimate partner violence, primarily in family law matters, in accordance with CLP and WC&S policies and procedures.
- Maintain client and office files, records, and statistics as set forth in office procedures.
- Participate in PCADV’s statewide attorney network; attend continuing legal education courses necessary to maintain PA attorney’s license.
- Work to improve the justice system’s response to victims of intimate partner violence.
- Assist in the provision of trainings on domestic violence issues in the justice system.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires being available 40 hours per week primarily during business hours and operates out of the Legal Office in Downtown Pittsburgh and the courts; some work may be able to be done remotely from home.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- Law Degree required.
- Licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania and admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of PA and US District Court, Western PA required.
- Three years of experience in the practice of law, including courtroom experience, is preferred.
- A demonstration of the understanding of the legal system and strong advocacy skills required.
- Strong legal research and writing ability.
- Excellent presentation, written, and interpersonal communication skills in a team environment.
- A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamics, cultural diversity issues and child abuse and neglect.
- Ability to understand, implement, and oversee confidentiality and safety procedures.
- Strong command of general technology including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite is required; familiarity and understanding of information technology, including Salesforce, Tableau, and Teams strongly preferred.
- Experience working in organizations with a successful track record in diversity and inclusion cultures preferred.
- Act 33/34 and FBI Fingerprinting Clearances will be required.
About the benefits. WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including: generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service (Student) Loan Forgiveness eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity expression, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation/identity, citizenship status, veteran status, marital status or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment to all.
To ensure consideration for an interview, please send a resume and cover letter via email with the subject line “Staff Attorney” by January 17th to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org