The Public Auditorium Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County was incorporated on February 3, 1954, pursuant to the Public Auditorium Authorities Law, as a joint authority organized by the City of Pittsburgh (City) and Allegheny County (County) to provide educational, cultural, physical, civic, and social events for the benefit of the general public.
Effective November 1999, the Public Auditorium Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County's name was legally changed to the Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County (SEA). The Public Auditorium Authorities Law was re-codified in 2000 and the Authority is now authorized and exists under the Sports and Exhibition Authority Act through March 23, 2049.
As a joint authority for the City and County, the SEA provides venues for sporting, entertainment, educational, cultural, civic, and social events for the public. The Authority owns and leases PNC Park, Acrisure Stadium and PPG Paints Arena. The Authority owns and is responsible for the operation of the David L. Lawrence Convention Center (Convention Center). The SEA also owns two parking facilities, riverfront parks, and various associated infrastructure improvements.
The Board of Directors of the Authority is a seven member group appointed by the Mayor of the City and Chief Executive of the County.