Youth Preparedness Educator
Teach Life Saving Skills to the Youth! Help them prepare for the next disaster!
Overview: The American Red Cross’s Youth Preparedness presentations are free disaster preparedness programs offered by the Red Cross across the country. Students in grades K-8 receive a 30- to 60-minute lesson and supplies to take home. The highly interactive presentation addresses home fire safety, a local natural hazard, psycho-social coping skills and household preparedness steps like making a plan and a kit.
Presenter Worker Role qualifications may include but are not limited to:
- Comfortable presenting an interactive curriculum to youth in grades 3-5 (ages 8-11) in school and out of school/community settings
- Working knowledge of emergency preparedness, including protective actions for various hazards, or a strong desire to learn about emergency preparedness and protective actions to teach them to youth
- Flexible and willingness to teach new ideas and concepts, such as the psychosocial "coping skills"
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow through with minimum supervision
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking
- Dynamic personality that relates well to youth in the target age group
- Reliable, punctual, good time management skills
- Ability to complete reports and conduct follow up calls with sites in a timely manner
- Ability to problem solve and be flexible with program changes, regional changes, etc.
- Willing to learn and use Monster Guard: Prepare for Emergencies, an interactive electronic game based on The Pillowcase Project curriculum
- Daytime and/or weekend availability
- Ability to arrange transportation to the Red Cross office to pick up materials, travel to event location, and return materials, etc. to the office at the end of the presentation
Reasons to Get Involved
- Meaningful way to help the next generation of youth become more prepared and resilient!
- All training is provided free of charge.
- All program supplies are provided at no cost by Red Cross.
- Opportunity to support an easy-to-implement lesson on home fire, coping skills, and local weather-related emergencies.
- Youth preparedness people are high energy, fun, and creative!