About the agency. Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh (WC&S) is a comprehensive domestic violence program annually serving over 7,700 adult and child survivors of domestic violence & facilitating an intervention program to nearly 300 people who use abuse. We are advocates, grounded in fostering a community of safety, healing, and empowerment for anyone affected by domestic violence. Our mission is to strengthen our ability to meet the individual and evolving needs of those affected by domestic violence by investing in the growth of our people, deepening community engagement, and amplifying the voices of all survivors. All staff learn about and support the organization’s mission, vision, and values of Safety, Uplifting Others, Compassion, Courage, Equity, Survivor-Centered Advocacy, and Stewardship (SUCCESS). In addition, the principles of Sanctuary (a model for providing trauma-informed care) and continuous improvement infuse all aspects of the organization.
About the role. As a Staff Attorney as part of WC&S’ Civil Law Project (CLP) in Downtown Pittsburgh, you will be part of a dynamic and fast-paced nonprofit law project. Your primary role will be to provide direct civil legal representation to victims of intimate partner violence in family law cases. Additionally, you will participate in the work of WC&S to improve the justice system’s response to victims of intimate partner violence. The preferred candidate has a Law Degree and is licensed to practice law in PA, has courtroom experience, and is knowledgeable about legal issues affecting victims of intimate partner violence.
This role will provide you with the opportunity to develop your legal skills and knowledge, communication, and advocacy. If you are excited to play a key role in a supportive and fast-paced nonprofit law project, care deeply about the issue of intimate partner violence, and are ready to make a difference in your community, then we are eager to hear from you. WC&S will offer you an environment that provides endless opportunities to advance your knowledge and skills.
Here's what you will do:
- Provide civil legal representation to victims of intimate partner violence (IPV), primarily in family law matters, in accordance with Civil Law Project (CLP) and WC&S policies and procedures
- Maintain a caseload comprised of high volume, fast-paced Protection From Abuse (PFA) cases and long-term, complex custody, support, and divorce cases
- Organize and maintain client files, including but not limited to case notes, pleadings, correspondence, and evidence as set forth in office procedures
- Advocate for victims of IPV using the Justice, Autonomy, Restoration, & Safety (JARS) and Sanctuary models
- Document and enter accurate client information, statistics, and systems advocacy into the office database in a timely manner
- Meet regularly with the Legal Director and CLP to review and discuss issues and opportunities related to services and to receive and prioritize tasks
- Attend all required meetings, including weekly CLP meetings and monthly All Staff meetings, and any other applicable meetings
- Participate in PCADV’s statewide attorney network
- Complete DV training by WC&S, Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence (PCADV), and Pennsylvania Commission on Crime & Delinquency (PCCD), as well as continuing legal education courses necessary to maintain Pennsylvania attorney licensure
- This position requires being available Monday through Friday primarily during business hours, with the possibility of some work being completed remotely; this position operates out of the Legal Office and courts in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Here’s what we are looking for:
- Law Degree required
- Licensure to practice law in Pennsylvania and admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of PA and US District Court, Western PA required
- Three (3) years of experience in the practice of law, including courtroom experience, is preferred
- A demonstration of the understanding of the legal system and strong advocacy skills required
- Strong legal research and writing abilities
- Effective verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills in a team environment
- A demonstration of the understanding of abusive family dynamics, including intimate partner violence, cycle of abuse, power and control dynamic, cultural diversity issues, and child abuse and neglect
- Ability to establish healthy boundaries, trust, respect, and rapport with others
- Ability to understand and adhere to strict confidentiality and safety procedures
- Strong command of general technology, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite is required; familiarity and understanding of information technology, including Salesforce, Tableau, and Teams strongly preferred
- Desire to work in an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as part of its values
- Act 33/34 and FBI Clearances required
About the benefits. WC&S offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including generous paid time off; health, vision, and dental insurance; short-term and long-term disability coverage; group life insurance; retirement plan with employer matching; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; Headspace meditation and mindfulness app subscription; Access Perks membership; paid training and professional development opportunities; and is a Public Service [Student] Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) eligible employer.
WC&S is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring that both applicants and employees are treated without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity or gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, place of birth, hairstyle, age, disability, using guide or support animals for a disability, genetic information (including family medical history), familial status, citizenship status, military service, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.