Advancement Associate - Research & Constituent Records
About the Senator John Heinz History Center
The Senator John Heinz History Center is a Smithsonian-affiliated museum and a first-day Pittsburgh attraction that presents compelling stories from American history with a Western Pennsylvania connection, all in an interactive and engaging environment for visitors of all ages. The largest history museum in Pennsylvania, the AAM-accredited History Center attracts large and diverse audiences to its 370,000-square-foot facility in Pittsburgh’s historic Strip District that includes six floors of long-term and changing exhibition space along with spectacular spaces for special events.
The History Center’s family of museums includes the Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum, a dynamic museum-within-a-museum; the Fort Pitt Museum in Point State Park; and Meadowcroft Rockshelter & Historic Village, a National Historic Landmark located in Avella, Washington County, Pa. The History Center also leads a partnership of more than 125 regional historical societies, museums, and organizations dedicated to preserving local history – the History Center Affiliates Program.
A popular destination for families and visitors to our region, the History Center attracts more than 250,000 visitors annually and reaches millions through virtual programs and digital outreach. The History Center was recently recognized as America’s #2 History Museum by USA TODAY and “Pittsburgh’s Best Museum” by Pittsburgh Magazine.
The Heinz History Center is seeking an Advancement Associate, Research & Constituent Records. This full-time position is responsible for conducting prospective donor research; preparation of event and meeting research materials; assisting with processing of charitable contributions and memberships; updating constituent profiles; filing contribution and membership records; and assisting with fulfillment of membership packets and other advancement mailings. As a member of the Advancement team, the Advancement Associate will also assist with membership, cultivation, and fundraising events (some evening and weekend hours required) and provide support with other administrative tasks and special projects, as needed.
The Advancement Associate must follow best practices in fundraising and maintain strict confidentiality related to the personal and financial information of History Center trustees, donors, members, and other constituents. The position requires superior customer service; ability to communicate professionally in person, on the phone, and in writing; attention to detail; and the ability to manage their time and prioritize multiple projects efficiently and effectively. The Advancement Associate will work both independently and collaboratively to assist the Advancement team in meeting our strategic and organizational goals.
This is a full-time, salaried / non-exempt position reporting to the Membership Engagement Manager.
- High school graduate or equivalent experience required.
- At least two years of experience in the not-for-profit sector or other office environment.
- Prior fundraising or museum experience is a plus.
- Ability to work with a variety of people, handle delicate issues, and maintain donor confidentiality.
- Must be a self-starter, proactively anticipating team needs, with superior customer service skills and the ability to creatively solve problems
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to pay close attention to details, work efficiently, and meet deadlines within a fast-paced work environment
- Planning, organization and prioritizing multiple tasks are key skills
- Ability to learn new skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneDrive, and Teams.
- Experience with Fundraising or Prospect Research software is a plus.
The successful candidate will be required to prove that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid religious or medical reason not to be vaccinated.
Why Work at the History Center?
- Rewarding, mission-driven work that makes an impact in the community!
- Dynamic workplace located in Pittsburgh’s historic Strip District
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(B) retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Nine (9) paid holidays
- Company paid life insurance / LTD
- Discounts in the Museum Shop and Cafe
The History Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The History Center celebrates diversity and is committed to treating all applicants & employees fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other classification protected by law.
The largest History Museum in Pennsylvania