Finance and Operations Director, Part Time
Quantum Theatre is a professional theater company that produces experimental productions in non-traditional performance spaces around the Pittsburgh area. Founded in 1990 by Karla Boos, current Artistic Director, the company aims to incorporate influences from world culture and the international theater scene. The theater enjoys a strong local reputation and strives to be a model nonprofit workplace for a diverse workforce, ensuring that all staff members are paid a living wage and offered competitive benefits, meaningful opportunities for professional development, and career advancement.
Quantum is seeking a Finance and Operations Director (FOD) who is passionate about our mission and has a strong financial background with knowledge of non-profit entities. The FOD will serve as the Chief Financial Officer and a member of senior management, reporting to and working in concert with the Executive Director in the strategic direction and optimal efficiency of the company. The FOD will also oversee administrative systems, including the company’s accounting software, Google Workplace system, I/T, etc. The Director of Operations oversees most Human Resources functions, including payroll, benefits, and employment policies. The position also holds responsibility and is point of contact for other vendors/agreements such as insurance, leases, legal services, and contracts.
Our ideal candidate has experience with non-profit organizations, particularly financial aspects, and is familiar with fiscal best practices and efficient operations. Our ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, an excellent communicator, and possesses strong problem solving skills.
This position is not eligible for Quantum Theatre’s full complement of benefits, but will have:
- 10 paid holidays, four paid vacation days, and four paid sick days
- Hybrid (virtual and in office) work environment
- Professional development opportunities
- Serve as chief financial officer of the company. Oversee the organization’s financial management in compliance with all applicable regulations and meeting the highest standards for best practice, integrity, and ethics.
- Develop the company’s annual budget, utilizing a collaborative process with the Executive and Artistic Directors, the Board of Directors, and the Finance Committee.
- Supervise the company’s outsourced bookkeeping service, and work collaboratively with them to trouble-shoot issues and utilize best practices. Suggest process improvements as needed to serve the company’s financial reporting needs and comply with accounting rules. Ensure payables are kept current and receivables are recorded accurately.
- Generate accurate and easy-to-understand financial reports on a regular monthly schedule, and as otherwise required, including reports to funders.
- Complete analysis of financial statements as needed to track trends and provide information to the full team. Utilize the full capacity of QuickBooks for effective and useful reporting.
- Serve as point of contact with the audit firm to complete an audit and tax returns annually, in close collaboration with the Audit Committee.
- Oversee bank and investment accounts.
- Monitor financial policies and work with Board of Directors to revise as needed to keep current.
H/R and Employment Practices
- Oversee the company’s payroll and ensure it runs accurately and on-time, including working closely with the Director of Production to process withholdings and payments to actor unions as required. Onboard new employees. Ensure tax compliance.
- Oversee the company’s suite of employee benefits, including health/vision/dental insurance, Simple IRA, paid time off, etc. Serve as point of contact for vendors; gather information on plans to collaborate with senior management to make decisions when changes are necessary.
- Ensure compliance with employment laws and best practices; collaborate with senior management and Board of Directors to revise policies as needed.
- Make and implement recommendations to establish efficient operations throughout the organization to maximize staff resources, reduce redundancy, and promote collaboration.
- Oversee the company’s systems such as Google Workspace, email marketing, etc. Ensure the company utilizes these tools to their full potential in the most efficient way. Coordinate training for staff as needed to build staff knowledge and capacity.
- Provide regular updates to the Executive Director regarding the organization’s operations and systems, and share reports to the Board of Directors and Finance Committee as requested.
- Serve as point of contact for insurance, leases, contracts, etc. Collaborate with senior management team and Board of Directors to determine if/when changes are needed and gather necessary information to make an informed decision. Negotiate best deals and terms as needed.
- Exhibit knowledge of fundraising/development to collaborate with the team on proposals and reports to funders/sponsors/donors. Likewise, working knowledge of and experience with marketing/communications to collaborate with staff and integrate organizational systems for maximum efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or similar major or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in accounting or finance, including experience with non-profit organizations.
- Strong leadership, communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with QuickBooks, Salesforce, Google Suite, and Google Workspace.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management, HR and employment practices.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, Board of Directors, donors, funders, vendors, and other stakeholders.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by September 25, 2023.
Quantum Theatre welcomes diversity in all forms, and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, gender expression, race, color, creed, ethnicity, origin, lineage or citizenship, disability, marital status, military or veteran status or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.