Social Media Strategist
Shady Side Academy (SSA) seeks a dynamic and creative storyteller to serve as a Social Media Strategist in the Office of Marketing & Communications Office. SSA offers a unique and valuable education that is relational and robust, cultivates a balanced and informed worldview, and leverages real-world learning experiences to create leaders at the nexus of technology and the liberal arts. Accordingly, this position will play a critical role in helping to develop and implement effective social media strategies, create compelling content, manage online communities, analyze performance metrics, and stay updated on social media trends to enhance the academy’s online presence and foster meaningful connections with our target audience.
The Social Media Strategist is a highly visible position that offers a unique opportunity to be part of a team working to shape the academy’s digital presence, engage with a diverse audience, and ensure SSA is a national leader in independent school social media strategy. The right person for this role understands the need for social media to align with a larger marketing & communications plan, appreciates the importance of strategic thinking, balances the needs of both internal and external constituents, and is someone who can thrive in a fast-paced environment and shift quickly to meet deadlines. Aiming to authentically and intentionally represent all forms of diversity at SSA in our marketing and communications, this position will work to ensure our content and reach are representative of the many audiences vital to Shady Side’s success. This position reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and collaborates closely with other members of the Marketing & Communications Office, as well as other cross-functional teams and community content contributors.
- Act as a liaison between marketing & communications leadership and various teams and creators to develop and execute comprehensive social media strategies that align with the academy’s brand guidelines, goals, and target audiences.
- Create on-brand written, visual, and video content for social media, including being a visual storyteller and voice for the institution.
- Manage social media content schedules and feeds for multiple accounts and audiences.
- Foster strong relationships with various departments, campuses, and internal/external influencers to ensure collaborative content development and consistent brand messaging while amplifying the academy's reach and impact.
- Provide live coverage and real-time updates during important academy events across appropriate social media platforms; collaborate with event organizers and photographers/videographers to gather multimedia content for social media sharing.
- Benchmark, monitor, and analyze social media performance using tools such as Falcon.io, Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Build and manage online communities—engaging with followers, responding to comments, and handling inquiries or concerns in a professional and timely manner.
- Provide support with crisis communication strategies and handle social media crises effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated experience in social media.
- Familiarity with graphic design and video editing software/tools for social media.
- Comfortable working flexible hours that will include some night and weekend events.
- Outgoing with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly establish rapport with people.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail and exceptional grammar.
- Proven experience in taking initiative, meeting deadlines, and shepherding projects from concept to completion.
- Respect, understand, and value different cultures and beliefs.
- Demonstrated success in following social media trends and implementing a social media campaign by working as or with content creators.
- An understanding of what it takes to go viral and the importance of a good hook.
- Exposure to inbound marketing methodologies.
- Emotional intelligence, political savvy, and witty with a (responsible) sense of humor.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter addressing each minimum qualification and any applicable preferred qualifications that you meet. You will also be asked to share a portfolio of: a minimum of one link to a social media account you currently oversee, at least four social media posts you created that represent your best work, and a social media strategy and/or social media ROI report that you created.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Lunch is included when school is in session.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Shady Side Academy is a diverse community of students and adults who share different cultural values and perspectives. We embrace each other’s differences and backgrounds, and we know that this diversity adds to the richness and depth of our students’ overall learning experience. Faculty members work to ensure a safe and open environment where understanding is central to all, and students’ differences are celebrated as an integral part of the educational experience.
About Shady Side Academy
Shady Side Academy is a nationally respected private school in Pittsburgh for boys and girls in grades pre-kindergarten through 12, with an optional boarding experience in high school. Four age-specific campuses with extraordinary resources, teachers who actively mentor, a forward-thinking curriculum, a diverse and inclusive community, and a legacy of alumni accomplishments all inspire Shady Side students to high achievement in academics, the arts and athletics, and to meaningful ambitions in life. Visit the school’s website at www.shadysideacademy.org. Our campuses are tobacco-free.