Volunteer Board Treasurer
Awaken Pittsburgh is a growing, energetic organization that draws upon the wisdom of mindfulness and meditation to serve a broad public. Awaken Pittsburgh fosters well-being, empathy, and compassion for all by teaching and encouraging mindfulness and meditation practices. Awaken Pittsburgh uses evidence-based curricula and programming to serve individuals, organizations, and communities to seek clarity, focus, renewal, and improved productivity.
Working closely with Awaken Pittsburgh’s Executive Director, Assistant Treasurer and Board, the new Treasurer will focus on future growth and help guide the institution’s mission, vision, and long-term sustainability. See our web site at www.awakenpittsburgh.org for more.
- Ideally, equipped with previous business and/or non-profit management skills
- Has at least 5 years’ experience in accounting or financial field, preferably nonprofit and a CPA
- Familiar with Quickbooks/Monkeypod accounting software
- Familiar with mindfulness practices, the current science of mindfulness, and/or a practitioner of meditation
- Able to foster and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders, including community partners, Executive Director and Board members
- Able to think and act strategically with an eye on the "big picture" of a dynamic, future-focused non-profit organization
- Comfortable being an ambassador for the organization i.e. at community events and in media interviews if necessary, alongside the Executive Director
- Collaborative by nature, placing focus on shared objectives and goals
- Embraces cultural, gender, and racial diversity
- Displays integrity, accessibility, and accountability in all actions
- Passionate about the impact of evidence-based mindfulness practices, especially in education, high-stress professions, and underserved populations
- Able to support the nonprofit’s growth, revenue generation and expansion
About The Position: What can you expect in this role? (Essential Duties)
- Conducting monthly internal controls with the E.D. and finance committee
- Producing and presenting quarterly financial reports to the board with the E.D.
- Producing and presenting an annual budget for the board’s approval with the E.D.
- Supervising the annual review, audit, 990 and BCO-10 processes
In accordance with Awaken Pittsburgh’s Bylaws, the Treasurer shall:
- Be familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations
- Chair the Finance Committee, preparing agendas and materials
- Attend quarterly board meetings and monthly committee meetings (approximately 2 hours each)
- Attend and actively participate in the annual meeting (approx. 3 hours in January)
- Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings
- Participate in fundraising activities and/or special events
- Keep current with your own personal mindfulness or contemplative practice and related issues and developments in program areas
- Strictly adhere to conflict of interest policies
- Strictly adhere to confidentiality policies
- Work with bookkeeper to review and prepare monthly financial reports
Awaken Pittsburgh is committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging.
What makes you, you? At Awaken Pittsburgh, we welcome all talents, skill sets, experiences, and backgrounds. We believe that each of us plays a part and can contribute to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and belonging. Our culture results from our behaviors, actions, commitments, and how we get things done by being as collaborative and inclusive as possible. In turn, our culture of belonging inspires us to speak, listen, learn from each other and bring forward the best ideas to strengthen and pursue our mission.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any other diverse identity or protected classification.
How to Apply
Connect Mindfully. Live Fully.