Instructor ( English Language Learning, ESL, ESOL)
Literacy Pittsburgh is seeking an experienced English Language Learning (ESL, ESOL) Instructor to work with immigrants and refugees in Allegheny County. Experience in working with low level language learners is preferred.
The Instructor is responsible for leading assigned Literacy Pittsburgh classes utilizing the Ready and Relevant curriculum and supporting agency priorities. The Instructor ensures a high-quality experience for students by providing excellent student instruction and support to advance student learning and goal attainment.
Teaching, Learning and Support
- Teach assigned classes in designated locations, in-person and/or via remote instruction.
- Provide support and referrals for students to address barriers and transition needs as related to program participation.
- Arrange for assessment and evaluation of students.
- Creating standards-aligned lesson plans and related materials for all assigned class sessions, saving all required documentation into a centrally accessible folder.
Program Improvement and Compliance
- Actively engage in professional development and on-going training to ensure high-quality teaching that leads to strong student outcomes.
- Collect, analyze, and monitor key student performance data, including attendance hours, student assessment scores, learning objectives, student feedback, and outcomes for state and federal compliance, student learning objectives, and overall program improvement.
- Monitor progress and solve problems to ensure program compliance with applicable state, federal, and other grant requirements.
- Participate with internal agency committees and teams, as well as relevant external partnerships.
- Follow agency protocols and processes for effective service delivery.
- Show leadership by offering expertise locally and regionally.
- All other duties as assigned by Director of Adult Education.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- Experience in teaching adults preferred
- Flexibility, adaptable to changing needs and schedules
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive working relationships with, build rapport with, and motivate diverse groups of people to achieve their education and career goals
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Proficiency in workplace digital platforms
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written and public speaking
- A passion for education and educational programming
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to build relationship with diverse populations
- A team player attitude
- A desire to continually learn and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- COVID-19 vaccination
- Act 33/34 clearances
- This position may require the use of personal vehicle for local travel.
- TESOL or TEFL certification preferred but not required.
- Full-time in locations throughout Allegheny County and at our Downtown Center, two evenings per week required.
- Hybrid Schedule Available
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Requires the ability to push, pull, lift & carry up to 40 pounds.
Better Lives Through Learning