Event Steward at Union Project and Kelly Strayhorn Theater
ARE YOU OUR NEXT EVENT STEWARD?
Are you all about customer service and looking for work in a dynamic, community-centered, arts environment? Union Project and Kelly Strayhorn Theater are looking for you, a friendly, hospitality-minded person for our Event Steward Team. The Event Steward Team provides a top-quality experience to our patrons, artists, and visitors at three locations, Union Project, Kelly Strayhorn Theater, and KST’s Alloy Studios. We strongly encourage BIPOC, women, LGBTQIA+, and/or members of other historically marginalized communities to apply.
ROLE: Event Steward
STATUS: PT Casual Employee, as needed per event
WORK DATES: Ongoing, primarily weeknights, weekends, and some holidays
ROLES WE ARE SEEKING: Event Stewards
ABOUT THE EVENT STEWARD TEAM MEMBER
Our Event Stewards are the first friendly faces that visitors meet and they work to ensure an excellent guest experience for all. These hospitality aces are detail-oriented, natural communicators, direct when needed and calm in fast-paced settings. The Event Steward Team performs a range of duties during public and private events including but not limited to day-of event coordination, set-up and break-down, ticketing/box office, house management/ushering, hospitality services, and facility maintenance.
ABOUT UNION PROJECT and KELLY STRAYHORN THEATER
Union Project is a non-profit organization that uses the arts to bridge gaps between communities.
Located in a historic building at the intersection of diverse neighborhoods, since 2001, UP has empowered community members and leveraged the arts to create positive social change.
Our primary program offerings are in ceramics, ranging from art classes for people of all ages and skill levels, to professional development services for artists, to events that bring us all together.
In addition to our ceramics studio, UP is home to 155 community restored stained glass windows, 35-foot vaulted ceilings, original woodwork, and more than 4,300 square feet of stunning event rental space. We value community, inclusivity, art and artists, collaboration, and joy. We envision a future where through the arts, everyone is able to transform their lives and communities.
Named after 20th-century entertainment legends and Pittsburgh natives Gene Kelly and Billy Strayhorn, Kelly Strayhorn Theater (KST) is a home for creative experimentation, community dialogue, and collective action rooted in the liberation of Black and queer people. KST fosters bold and innovative artistry with a global perspective. The theater celebrates diversity in voice, thought, and expression, and upholds a firm commitment to inclusion.
KST has a dynamic footprint in Pittsburgh, with two venues running along Penn Avenue. KST’s Alloy Studios is a cultural hub in the heart of Friendship, and the historic Kelly Strayhorn Theater is located in the thriving business district of East Liberty. More than 20 years after the founding of the theater, KST continues to use its broad reach to impact the contemporary arts and the community.
- Greet all patrons, artists, and guests, ensuring a clean, safe and welcoming environment
- Act as a proactive liaison for event space renters, fielding questions and seeking assistance when needed
- Assist with setup and maintain event space throughout event, including AV equipment
- Keep event spaces clean and stocked with necessary supplies, including the restrooms
- Record audience count and collect audience surveys
- Act as an usher, safely leading patrons of varied abilities to seating
- Complete a detailed event report at the close of each event
- Coordinate and supervise volunteers
- Track and reconcile box office, concession sales, and donations received following each event
- Ensure event safety protocols and emergency procedures are followed
- Other duties as required by event
REQUIREMENTS (please don’t apply if you don’t have the following)
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and belonging and the willingness to prioritize and foster a commitment to valuing differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances.
- Cash handling experience with fastidious attention to detail and security
- You are personable, professional, and comfortable working with patrons and artists of diverse backgrounds
- Proactive and able to work in a self-directed environment
- Experience working alongside and/or guiding volunteers
- Must be available evenings, weekends, and some holidays
- Must be at least 18 years of age and able to stand, stretch, bend, and lift up to 30 lbs
PREFERENCES (you should still apply even if you don’t have all of these traits)
- Interest or background in the performing arts is a plus
- Previous customer service or hospitality experience
- Ability to demonstrate skill in handling patron/artist concerns
- Ability to resolve problems in a fast-paced, moving environment
Your application has been successfully submitted.