Silver Eye Center for Photography promotes the power of contemporary photography as a fine art medium by creating original exhibitions, unique educational programing, and a space for artists to learn, create, and connect through our digital lab. (https://www.silvereye.org/about)
We are hiring! Seeking an Executive Director to serve as visionary leader who embraces collaboration, innovation, and service to the artists, audiences, and communities with whom we engage. Join our talented team and continue to enrich our commitment to creating original exhibitions, unique educational programing, and a space for artists to learn, create, and connect through diverse programs dedicated to supporting the work of emerging, mid-career, and under-recognized artists with our diverse audience in engaging and meaningful ways.
Executive Director Job Summary
The Executive Director provides strategic and creative leadership and vision, positioning Silver Eye as a regionally-and nationally recognized arts organization that promotes broadly diverse artists at the vanguard of the field and actively works to develop an expansive and inclusive audience. The Executive Director has the authority and responsibility for managing curatorial, human, physical, programmatic, and financial resources, as well as for the development, execution, and benchmarking of strategic plans and operating priorities. The Executive Director leads a highly qualified team consisting of talented staff, consultants, and interns, and will have a strong working relationship with the Board of Directors.
Institutional Leadership and Strategic Direction - Serve as the chief spokesperson for Silver Eye and an advocate for the arts initiatives while articulating, developing, and implementing the organization’s long-term vision, values, and mission.
Staff and Volunteer Management - Create a safe, congenial, inclusive and creative work environment and ensure a culture that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse team of highly qualified people including staff, volunteers, board members and artists.
Financial Development and Management - Maintain accounting control and integrity of financial systems and manage daily financial operations along with annual budget creation and audit preparation and filings.
Fundraising and Development - Direct and participate in all aspects of fundraising operations for the organization, including grant writing, corporate sponsorship, individual giving at both membership and major donor levels and special events, including biennial benefit auction and Radial Survey gala.
Communications and PR - Develop, implement and communicate short- and long-term plans and processes to build a broad and diverse base of support by leveraging contacts, programs and services on-site and online to effectively engage and steward all types of constituents and community stakeholders.
Curatorial and Program Leadership - Articulate and execute artistic vision, overall strategy and direction for all programs alongside the Deputy Director of Programming to ensure that Silver Eye’s programs excel at a regional and national level and reflect contributions to the field of photography from a broadly diverse range of artists by delivering a wide range of relevant content/audiences and contribute to increased community support and visibility.
Facility Management and Operations - Oversee all day-to-day programs in a custom designed 2,000 square foot space in the heart of the Penn Avenue Arts District neighborhood which includes an exhibition space and adjacent lab space where Silver Eye offers classes, printing and framing services.
Minimum Education, Skills & Personal Attributes
- Master’s degree in art, art history or nonprofit management or significant equivalent experience in the field. 3-5 years’ experience with managing people, budgeting and contracts management and program operations is preferred.
- Relationships with other Photography and Arts Organizations, a broadly diverse network of artists and related professionals and prior experience in Curation, Development, Community Engagement is desirable.
- Experience and confidence using Google Suite and Microsoft Office, as well as a variety of platforms used for billing, payroll, and CRM management with ability to run and interpret financial and forecasting reports is recommended.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills (written and oral), ability to connect with diverse audiences, possesses social media proficiency is required.
- Inclusive decision-maker who drives the mission forward while demonstrating hard work, resourcefulness, creativity, and independent thinking is ideal.
- Passion for contemporary art and photography with the ability to lead, inspire, and work within a small team and a commitment to representing and reaching broadly diverse artists and audiences is required.
- Ability to actively participate in Silver Eye and community events, including weekdays, and some evenings and weekends is required.
- Commitment to Adaptability: This is a small organization, and the ability to be flexible and willing to do a bit of everything will be required of a successful leader.
Salary and Compensation
The salary range is $70,000-$85,000, depending on experience and education. Includes benefits package.
Application and Selection Process
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com by August 26, 2022. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified. Silver Eye is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.