Environmental Health Administrator III - Housing
This is a highly responsible administrative and professional work in directing, developing, planning, implementing and evaluating county-wide environmental health programs.
An employee in this class provides consultation and advisement to the Director of the Health Department and/or Deputy Director regarding the direction, development, planning, implementation and evaluation of county wide environmental health programs. Employees are also responsible for managing professional environmental health staff responsible for either general or specialty programs. The work involves continuous analysis and appraisal of county-wide environmental health programs both within the Department and with other agencies and institutions. Employees develop and implement policy, procedures and techniques to achieve maximum professional quality and effectiveness of environmental health services. An important aspect of the work is participation in Health Department policy formulation, and the enlisting of community support and stimulation of interest in environmental health. Supervision is exercised over a staff of Environmental Health Administrators or other subordinate supervisory personnel. An employee in this class works under broad program latitude and receives general administrative direction from the Director of the Health Department or Deputy Director. Results are reviewed for effectiveness and fulfillment of legal mandate and departmental goals.
- Directs, develops, plans, implements and evaluates assigned county-wide program of environmental health programs; formulates, and advises the Director of the Health Department and/or Deputy Director regarding program evaluation and improvement; interprets and implements policy in carrying out Environmental Health program objectives; supervises a staff of Environmental Health Administrators who are responsible for planning, consulting, coordination and evaluation of public health sanitation activities in assigned areas; coordinates the environmental health program with other departmental programs, and other government units, agencies and industry; plans or directs the planning of budgets, personnel requirements, facilities and services for the overall programs of environmental health; confers with environmental health staff and health officers to explain policies, to review work progress and to instruct staff in new and revised procedures.
- Assists in planning, organizing, and evaluating comprehensive environmental health services in a major environmental health program
- Coordinates specialty environmental health services of the Health Department with those of industry, other agencies or government units.
- Assists in determining environmental staff needs within the program; coordinates the work of environmental health with that of other disciplines in the program;
- Supervises and participates in planning, orientation training for new staff, and in planning and directing staff development and in-service training programs; participates with representatives of national and other professional associations and educational institutions in measures for improvement of professional services and standards.
- Performs related work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of environmental sanitation.
- Competent knowledge and use of Microsoft Office programs including Access, Word,
- PowerPoint, and Excel and other database programs.
- Ability to represent ideas effectively, concisely and accurately, both orally and in writing and present themselves in a professional manner.
- Extensive knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations relating to public health sanitation.
- Thorough knowledge of the social and health problems of the community.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of public health statistics, and of the uses and application of such statistics.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to organize staff development and training needs and to supervise the organization and administration of effective program development.
- Ability to work effectively with assistants, public officials, and the public and others.
- Ability to lecture, give talks and prepare papers on both technical and administrative aspects of environmental sanitation.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Ability to respond to emergencies.
One year of experience as an Environmental Health Administrator II.
Master’s Degree in Public Health with a major concentration in Environmental Health or a field related to Environmental Health and five (5) years of professional environmental health work experience, including three (3) years in management, one (1) year of which may be direct supervision of staff.
Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in the biological sciences, sanitary sciences, chemistry or other fields closely related to environmental health and six (6) years of professional environmental health work including three (3) years in management capacity, one (1) year of which may be direct supervision of staff.
Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Pre-Employment Proficiency Exam
Computer Literacy Exam – Measures basic computer skills, basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Outlook, and typing. Must pass computer literacy exam administered by the Allegheny County Health Department with a score of 75% or greater.
Condition of Employment
It is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates for positions within the executive branch must provide proof of a Covid-19 vaccination. The prospective employee will need to be fully vaccinated or have at least one shot of a two-shot series before beginning work. Any employee who does not receive and provide proof of the second shot within 30 days will have their probationary employment terminated. Allegheny County will allow for medical and religious exemptions from the requirements in accordance with state and federal law.
Additionally, it is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass a background check, which includes verification of Allegheny County Real Estate Tax status, and drug/medical examinations as required for the position. The pre-employment drug screen must be completed within 48 hours of the acceptance of the conditional offer of employment.
Full-time, Mid-Senior Level.
Who is Eligible?
Applications will be accepted from certified Merit System employees of the Allegheny County Health Department and outside candidates who possess the experience and training listed in this announcement and who are capable of performing the duties of this position.
Minimum Requirements - 60%
Relevant Skills & Certifications - 15%
Supplemental Questions - 25%
You will receive a score based on the experience you report on your application for employment. It is therefore important that you provide complete and accurate information. Failure to do so may delay the processing of your application or result in a lower than deserved score or disqualification. Call our Office of Human Resource Management if you have any questions.
Please be prepared to answer the following questions. You may upload as a Word document answers to the supplemental questions in the “Upload Page” of the application. Make sure to note “See attached” after the statement on the application form if you are attaching a separate document. If you are unable to upload the document, email to ACHD Human Resources Department.
- Please describe why you are interested in this position and how your experience can help you with this position.
- Describe your experience in evaluating and improving a policy or procedure. Give details about what caused you to take the initiative for the change and how you developed and implemented the desired changes.
- Describe your experience with using data to determine, monitor, evaluate and measure needs and effectiveness of a program.
- What experience do you have with regulatory enforcement? Please describe what you feel is an optimal enforcement outcome.
- Provide a technical writing sample.
Allegheny County Civil Service Employees (Non-ACHD)
Regular or probationary employees of County Departments currently in this classification, hired under a State Civil Service System, who apply for this position will not be considered as Open Competitive applicants. Those employees selected for transfer to the Allegheny County Health Department will be considered to have resigned their Civil Service status from the Department in which they are currently working and will be required to complete a probationary period with the Health Department.
Please refer to the Instruction Sheet for completion of the the Allegheny County Employment Application.
This announcement may be modified, amended or canceled by the Allegheny County Health Department at any time.
To establish open competitive and promotional eligible lists for use in making merit system appointments in the Allegheny County Health Department. The list will contain the names of successful candidates ranked in the order of final earned ratings. The list will be in effect for one (1) year unless previously exhausted or superseded.
In the ranking, open competitive applicants qualifying for Veteran’s Preference receive an additional ten points on the final earned rating. Form DD-214 must be attached to the application form for consideration for Veteran’s Preference. Determination of Veteran’s Preference is made in accordance with State Civil Service Policy.
If you are claiming Veteran's preference, then proof of eligibility; DD-214 Form or other comparable military document must be submitted for initial claim. The document must show dates of entry and separation and character of service.
Credit for a degree or college coursework can only be accepted from an official transcript submitted directly from the college or university to Allegheny County Health Department.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Residency: Allegheny County within 1 year.
Veterans' Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Allegheny County Health Department