Collaborating for Empowered Communities and Cleaner Waters
POSITION: Community Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Executive Director(s)
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $40,000 - $45,000 DOE, partial healthcare reimbursement and generous PTO provided.
HOURS: Full-time/40 hours per week/Non-Exempt
WORK ENVIRONMENT: A combination of field, office, community, and remote work. The incoming community coordinator must be organized and flexible at shifting work locations.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: This is a joint position with Three Rivers Waterkeeper (3RWK) and Watersheds of South Pittsburgh (WOSP). The Community Coordinator is responsible for managing a new program: Collaborating for Empowered Communities and Cleaner Waters. The program focuses on community engagement, outreach, and an organized listening tour of Pittsburgh’s communities that are disproportionately impacted by water quality issues (hereafter, EJ communities). We aim to give our rivers and streams a voice by empowering our communities and highlighting the value of clean and healthy waterways for all citizens. We hope to learn from our communities while leading grassroot efforts to empower our residents through a variety of activities – virtual presence, in-person activities, and educational materials focused on watershed education and our rights to clean water. The Community Coordinator will help serve as a spokesperson and public advocate pertaining to environmental justice issues relating to 3RWK’s and WOSP’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Coordinate, conduct and manage a listening tour in EJ communities within the Pittsburgh area and surrounding communities - this includes conducting surveys, dialogues and education events
- Represent 3RWK and WOSP at public hearings, community gatherings, and coalition meetings
- Coordinate outreach, advocacy and education activities for core policy/advocacy issues
- Train volunteers and lead organizing efforts in EJ communities
- Provide feedback on outreach and educational materials in accordance with the organizations’ mission and purpose
- Work collaboratively with partners and coalitions
- Contribute significantly to social media presence, develop media relationships and pitch stories related to our core issues
- Track project and program outcomes including people served and provide a periodic reporting of accomplishments
- As necessary, assist communications staff and support organizational leaders to drive and amplify the organization’s mission related to Environmental Justice issues
- As necessary, assist in grant writing and budget research & preparation for continued or growth of programming
- Must have lived or currently lived in a community with documented EJ indices higher than national average (Map of EJ Communities below)
- 3-5 years of experience in advocacy, community organizing, environmental, or social justice work
- Direct personal experience with program or campaign management
- Excellent public engagement and group facilitation skills
- Familiarity with environmental justice issues in Western Pennsylvania
- Experience with volunteer or other personnel management
- Experience creating engaging social media and digital video content
- Strong verbal and/or written communication skills
- Collaborative team working style with ability to relate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent organizational skills
- Computer skills including experience with MS Word, MS Excel, and PowerPoint, Google Drive, and Zoom
- Commitment to the mission, vision and values of Three Rivers Waterkeeper and Watersheds of South Pittsburgh
- Must be able to attend evening and weekend events
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Must be able to work outside in occasionally adverse conditions
- Must not be afraid of the outdoors, i.e., no phobias about getting dirty or fear of insects or wildlife
- Must be able to sustain at least an hour hike on uneven terrain, up hillsides and in brushy understory
- Ability to transition between office work and field work
- Ability to sit, bend, and stand for 8+ hours a day
- Ability to legally operate a motor vehicle within Pennsylvania; valid driver’s license, willing to travel regionally
We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. We actively encourage women, BIPOC and disabled applicants and value the positive impact that difference has on our teams. We are committed to equality and diversity within our workforce.
HOW TO APPLY: To apply for this position, please e-mail a cover letter explaining your interest in this position along with your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your connection to an EJ community in your cover letter. Applications will be reviewed and considered as they are received. The position will remain open until filled.
ABOUT THREE RIVERS WATERKEEPER:
MISSION: Our mission is to protect the water quality of the Monongahela, Allegheny, and Ohio Rivers, and their respective watersheds.
VISION: Our Vision is to have drinkable, fishable, swimmable water in the Monongahela, Allegheny, and Ohio Rivers, and their respective watersheds.
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Three Rivers Waterkeeper (3RWK) was founded in 2009 and aims to improve and protect the water quality of the Allegheny, Monongahela, and Ohio Rivers. These waterways are critical to the health, vitality, and economic prosperity of our region and communities. 3RWK is both a scientific and legal advocate for the community, working to ensure our three rivers are protected and safe to drink, fish, swim and enjoy.
MISSION: Our mission is to improve and restore the health and vitality of the streams and communities in the Saw Mill Run and Streets Run Watersheds. We inspire change by providing environmental leadership, engaging citizens in direct action, planning long-term green initiatives, and partnering on key issues that affect the well-being of the watersheds.
VISION: We envision greener, healthier communities around the waters that flow through them: clean streams and tributaries, restored floodplains, neighborhoods that have equitable and direct access to green space, and communities that thrive in the absence of repeated flooding.
WOSP follows three main values:
- Collaboration: Successful partnerships between nonprofits, businesses, community groups, local governments, and individual citizens are essential in advancing our mission.
- Life-long Learning: We strive to raise awareness about the streams, water quality, and broader issues that impact our watersheds and the communities within them.
- Stewardship: Social and environmental responsibility is the foundation of our work at WOSP.
MAP OF EJ COMMUNITIES AS DETERMINED BY PA DEP:
EJ communities outlined in dark purple with a 0.5 mile buffer is light purple. Source: https://padep-1.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=f31a188de122467691cae93c3339469c
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Three Rivers. One Mission.