Special Projects Coordinator
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 28261
Position is based in East Side San Jose. Program office location at West Valley College. Partial remote work available.
This is a continuous recruitment; applications are accepted on an on-going basis, interviews are held and persons are hired from time to time throughout the year.
This position is a Partial-Year Career position. A Partial-Year Career appointment is established to accommodate foreseeable seasonal fluctuations in staff, budgetary, operational, or other needs and contains regularly scheduled non-work periods during which the incumbent remains an employee and retains health benefits, but is not at work. Please note that the furlough period of this position is 2 months (period TBD) and is unpaid time off.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, https://news.ucsc.edu/2021/07/systemwide-vaccination-policy.html for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to Policy.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Educational Partnership Center (EPC) coordinates new and longstanding student academic preparation efforts of the University of California, Santa Cruz with the goal of increasing access and opportunity to postsecondary education for underserved students across the Santa Cruz, Monterey Bay and Silicon Valley/San Jose regions. We provide an array of direct services, supporting students on the college-going pathway through tutoring, mentoring, academic planning and counseling, leadership training, test preparation, college awareness and enrichment, and teacher professional development. Programs in the EPC include:
- California Student Opportunity and Access Program (Cal-SOAP)
- California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science (COSMOS)
- California Reading and Literature Project (CRLP)
- Early Academic Outreach Program (EAOP)
- Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP)
- Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA)
Under direction of higher-level K-14 Academic Preparation Specialist, works with assigned institutions and organizations to implement academic preparation programming of moderate scope. Maintains program visibility in schools. Maintains collaborative relationships with K-14 institutions and community entities. Maintains relationships with higher education institutions.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 01/10/2022
Please note: Applicant materials continue to be accepted after this date and until the position is filled
Salary Information:$22.27 - $29.98 / hourly. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full
- Percentage of Time: 100%
- Average Hours Per Week: 40
- Days of the Week: Mon - Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Partial Year Career appointment with 2 furlough months annually
Job End Date:One year from date of hire; possibility of extension
Work Location: West Valley College in San Jose, CA
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Employee Relations Code: All Others, Not Confidential
Job Code Classification: K TO 14 ACAD PREP SPEC 2 
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
- 20% - Supports the planning, coordination, implementation and marketing of college-going services, programs, and P-20 collaborative initiatives. Acts as educational equity and college attainment advocate for students and parents.
- 20% - Manages program social media platforms, creates culturally competent digital content, designs and organizes virtual information and communication about higher education and financial aid.
- 20% - Maintains positive, collaborative relationships with program staff, EPC leaders, K-12, postsecondary and community partners to design and coordinate impactful college, career and financial aid activities and events for program participants and families.
- 20% - Participates in strategic and program planning. Organizes and facilitates meetings and trainings with key program staff and collaborative partners to ensure successful implementation of project events.
- 10% - Contributes to program evaluations, program reports, collects student data,and monitors online analytics
- 10% - Prepares appropriate forms and documentation needed to account for and capture in kind support from program partners.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Knowledge and experience working with a diverse student population, and sensitivity to culture, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status.
- Knowledge of higher education institutions (UC, CSU, CC, etc.), admissions and financial aid requirements, and the ability to interpret policies and procedures to youth, parents, and school representatives.
- Experience advising and supporting educationally disadvantaged and academically at-risk students regarding postsecondary opportunities and careers.
- Experience implementing and maintaining social media campaigns to promote program outreach and services, and creating and managing culturally competent digital content to engage students and families.
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with school district administrators, school counselors, principals, teachers, and community contacts.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and manage multiple projects with deadlines. Project management experience.
- Experience implementing and facilitating college-going programs or events.
- Thorough knowledge of high school graduation and college entrance requirements.
- Bilingual written and verbal (English/Spanish).
- Knowledge and understanding of K-14 education.
Special Conditions of Employment
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Will be required to provide proof of negative TB test results within 60 days of hire.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the State of California.
- Must be able to move materials, weighing up to 25-30 pounds, with or without accommodation.
- Must have the ability to work evening, weekends, and travel within service area and nationally, if necessary.
- Must have the ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=1.&part=4.&chapter=2.&article=2.5.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our https://shr.ucsc.edu/talent-acquisition/applicant_resources/how-to-apply/index.html tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Your application has been successfully submitted.