The Development Coordinator will work closely with the Vice President of External Affairs to meet the development goals of this dynamic agency. The Development Coordinator will be a keystone member of the team, with a concentration in successfully leading special events, and providing support in donor stewardship initiatives. This position will also be responsible for effective and efficient use of resources and the donor management system to measure and achieve development goals. They will be asked to think both strategically about the larger efforts of the department, along with performing highly detailed and creative work daily.
Special Events Coordination
- Along with the VP of External Affairs, strategically create a robust special events calendar that recognizes long-standing events
- Lead all pre-event and day-of logistics for special events, including signature agency events, cultivation and exposure opportunities, and third party run events
- As needed, work with event vendors and consultants
- Manage the corporate sponsorships program to make events significant money earners for the agency
- Create and implement new techniques and fine tune existing techniques to make events as profitable as possible
- Cultivate and steward motivated participants to both raise funds for the event and remain connected to the agency afterwards
- Work in conjunction with the Marketing Consultant to ensure the agency’s presence at events conveys its mission, services, and needs
- Ability to coordinate events of various sizes while engaging stakeholders
- Effectively utilize the donor tracking database through accurate entry, advanced reports, and integrated communication options
- Ensure all donors are acknowledged in a timely manner
- Along with the Vice President of External Affairs manage a pipeline of donors to welcome supporters in at every level and further leverage their generosity
- Recommend development process modifications
- As work load allows, grow a small portfolio of individual donors
Annual Fund Management
- Create and implement an annual strategy for cultivating and stewarding donors through social media, events, email, and other innovative techniques that can attract a diverse range of donors
- Remain up to date on the latest fundraising techniques to attract new donors and adopt new practices to further the agency’s fundraising goals
- Work closely with the Marketing Consultant to leverage the power of social media, internet presence, printed materials, and technology use to cross promote agency messaging
- Solicit needed in-kind donations
- Maintain current knowledge in present areas of responsibility, profession, and industry trends
- Living the values of BVRS: Inclusion, Equity, Innovation, Compassion, Integrity, Professionalism, and Excellence
- Make a positive contribution by making suggestions for improvement and learning new skills, procedures, and processes
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices to participate in the planning and implementation of an effective, well-rounded development campaign
- Demonstrate the ability to use sound judgement and discretion regarding confidential information
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize a workload and multi-task while maintaining strict attention to detail
- Demonstrate solid project management skills, including critical ability to coordinate and balance multiple projects in a time-sensitive manner
- Develop strong relationship management skills with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written; comfortable facilitating meetings and speaking to groups when needed
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite, Donor management systems, Social media platforms, Internet based fundraising tools, Basic design abilities
- Ability to work both individually and in a team environment
- Strong work ethic that gives you an internal drive to exceed goals
- Bachelors Degree in Public Administration, Marketing, Social Sciences, Communications, or other related fields. Combination of education and equivalent work experience may be considered.
- 4+ years of experience in fundraising, special events, donor communication, or a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge and experience. Intensive experience with a shorter period of time may be considered.
- 3+ years successful Event Management experience from planning and implementation including management of budgets, resources, staff and volunteers.
- Proven stakeholder management skills, demonstrating ability to establish rapport with all levels of Staff, Board of Directors, Funders and Donors.
- Demonstrated ability to manage details, meet fundraising goals, build momentum around events, and work in a collaborative, welcoming manner.
- Ability to create comprehensive reports to provide executive level insight into development activities and progress toward goals.
- Strong Technical Skills including: Microsoft Office user, ability to create complex excel workbooks, manage donor databases and create presentations.
- Valid Drivers’ License and/or reliable transportation for special event purposes
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- General office environment: Works generally at a desk in a well-lighted, air-conditioned cubicle/office, with moderate noise levels.
- May be required to work out of doors with exposure to natural elements (sun, wind, rain etc) for event management
- Travel to sites in car as needed
Work outside of normal office hours may be required including nights and weekends
- Periods of high stress may occur.
- Activities require a significant amount of sitting at office and work desks and in front of a computer monitor, including using a keyboard and mouse extensively
- Ability to speak professionally on the phone with various stakeholders
- Ability to utilize a visually based database and social media programs
- Responsibility to lift and /or carrying of supplies up to 25 Pounds without assistance,
- Ability to lift and move 50 pounds + with assistance (e.g. with dolly or push carts) and walk at least 2-3 blocks for special event set up
- Presence at specific events for extended periods that include standing, hauling material, and set up in various weather conditions, while speaking effectively with the public
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel may be required for event set up
REASONING ABILITIES & LANGUAGE SKILLS:
- Strong executive level oral and written communication skills. Including executive reporting and presentations.
- Ability to evaluate information and the implications of a course of action or solution.
- Ability to interpret and apply common sense understanding to carry out a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to follow and execute directives from leadership
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Evaluate trends in data or information.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task often without losing momentum or focus.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret both internal and external documents
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Improving the lives of persons with vision loss and related disabilities by teaching independence and self-advocacy.