Volunteer Engagement Center Coordinator
At Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our organization grows and succeeds when all members of the community, where we live and serve, have a seat at the table to help us ensure all of our neighbors have enough to eat. We invite candidates from all diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to race, gender, sexual orientation, abilities, etc., to join our team.
Volunteer Engagement Center Coordinators oversee and assist in the sorting, repacking, labeling, and recording of over $6.5 million worth of product being processed in the Volunteer Engagement Center, and other areas of the facility as needed, each year. VEC Coordinators play a key role in the GPCFB’s stewardship process for both volunteers and donors since the VEC volunteer experience serves as a critical tool of engagement. VEC Coordinators interact with up to 7000 volunteers per year and are tasked with creating a welcoming and safe environment while instructing volunteers in the completion of projects. VEC Coordinators also work with the VEC Manager and Team Lead to increase efficiency of production as well as problem-solve in real time during repack projects.
Key Inventory Impact and Product Handling
- Play integral role in the careful movement, handling, repackaging and proper recording of food coming through the VEC with a financial impact to the GPCFB of over $6.5 million per year.
- Maintain neat records on all product packed and accurately enter data into GPCFB’s ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system to move repackaged product onto available inventory in a timely manner.
- Work through issues concerning the locations, amounts and quality of product with the Inventory Control Manager and Operations Manager.
- Ensure that repacked product upholds the highest level of food safety standards set forth by the GPCFB and Feeding America.
- Implement procedures to handle, sort and package produce that aim to extend its life and quality, including but not limited to, safe handling techniques and proper disposal methods of damaged product.
- Participate in inventory count activities.
Key Volunteer Engagement and Monitoring
- Play an integral part of GPCFB’s development initiatives by providing exemplary levels of customer service to all volunteers in the VEC, including special interest corporate and donor groups, Family Day participants, individuals with differing abilities, board members, nonprofit organizations and other important partners of the GPCFB community.
- Welcome volunteers to the VEC and provide training on how to conduct specific packing projects with emphasis on quality control, customer service and meeting donor/food safety guidelines.
- Build effective working relationships with volunteers, displaying ease and comfort with people of diverse backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
- Provide support and recognition to volunteers so they feel welcomed and valued.
- Oversee packing projects and monitor the work of volunteers for compliance with repacking guidelines. Make appropriate accommodations for volunteers with various needs.
- Relay important safety information to volunteers.
Key VEC Operations
- Execute the project schedule laid out by the VEC Manager and make suggestions depending on any new information and product backstock.
- Gather (pick) product slated to be sorted and packaged in the VEC. Setup project workspace for volunteers with all needed packing supplies and product.
- Assist VEC Team Lead in planning project layouts based on the amount and type of project contents.
- Ensure volunteer, fellow staff and safety of self by following best equipment operating practices and using a high level of caution while operating equipment in the VEC space.
- Provide input on improving operations to VEC Manager and Team Lead. Work with the VEC Manager and Team Lead to identify creative and efficient mechanisms to increase the efficacy of VEC operations with an emphasis on sorting and repackaging fresh produce.
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly work area by regularly sweeping, mopping, dusting and sanitizing the VEC. Assist with special cleaning tasks as needed for audits.
- Assist VEC Team Lead in keeping accurate counts of supplies including scales, bags, boxes, gloves, etc.
- Lead VEC projects and operations when VEC Team Lead is absent.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and one year of related experience and/or training.
- Customer service experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of volunteers.
- Must possess good communication skills in order to effectively interact and instruct groups of volunteers ranging in number from 10 - 60.
- Ability to respond quickly to a changing environment and challenges.
- Ability to operate material handling equipment (pump jack, power jack, forklift, reach truck, standard warehouse equipment)
- Ability to work in refrigerated space for extended periods of time.
- Knowledge of salvage sorting preferred.
- Ability to operate standard office computer.
- Ability to move or lift 75 – 100 pounds and stand for 3 – 4 hours.
- Work schedule flexibility.
- Act 33 & 34 Clearances
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Your application has been successfully submitted.