Director of Finance
Pay Range: $65,000.00 to $80,000.00, based on experience
Additional benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, and paid time off.
Status: Full-time, Exempt position
Dates: Open until filled
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Reports to: Executive Director
The Mattress Factory’s Exhibitions Department is seeking applications for the Director of Finance. The successful candidate must be a flexible team player who is an experienced financial professional with great attention for detail. The Mattress Factory is a contemporary art museum on the Northside of Pittsburgh founded in 1977. We feature site-specific installations created by artists in residence from around the world with an operating budget of approximately $2.3 million. Reporting to the Executive Director, the director of finance is responsible for fiscal management of the Mattress Factory, including budgeting, forecasting, monitoring, reporting, payroll and related financial services for the museums. This position contributes to overall planning efforts, improving efficiency and provides a strategic financial perspective to the Director and other senior staff.
The Mattress Factory, a contemporary art museum on the Northside of Pittsburgh, was founded in 1977. We feature site-specific installations created by artists in residence from around the world.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree with emphasis on business management, finance, and accounting.
- At least five years of experience in financial administration, including experience with non-profit accounting.
- Proficiency with computerized accounting software (preferably QuickBooks) and Microsoft Office products.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- The position requires the ability to perform and/or direct all relevant financial activities, including budgeting, forecasting, monitoring, and reporting for the museum.
- Strong organizational and communications skills, analytical problem solving, and ability to gather, and analyze financial data and concepts.
- Must be collaborative and team-oriented and attentive to detail and to overarching goals.
- Accuracy and discretion are essential.
- Familiarity with human resources processes and procedures
- Familiarity with visitor service and retail operations, and basic contracts are highly desirable.
- Provide strategic financial perspective to the director, senior staff, and board regarding the museum’s overall operations.
- Contribute to strategic planning efforts to realize the Mattress Factory's mission and goals.
- Work with leadership to identify ways to enhance earned and contributed income and monitor expenses.
- Serve as a member of the museum’s senior management team.
- With input from and under the supervision of the Executive Director and the Board of Director’s Finance Committee develop and implement budgets for the Mattress Factory’s operating, designated, and restricted funds.
- Lead annual budget process with the Executive Director, including providing guidance to the director and department heads as needed.
- Support departments in developing operating budgets, as well as budgets for special projects and initiatives that may span several years.
- Analyze financial performance on a regular basis to ensure that YTD revenue and expenses are tracking accurately against budget.
- Create monthly reports to managers on a timely basis; prepare special reports as needed; and help managers to interpret and respond to data.
- Report on variances on a monthly basis to the director, controller’s office, and board chair; identify and anticipate problems/discrepancies and resolve them when possible; and proactively make recommendations for course corrections as required.
- Prepare other projections or analyses as required.
- Provide regular and clear reporting to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other stakeholders on business and team performance. Prepare and deliver reports on financial performance for board meetings, budget presentations, staff meetings, etc.
- Approve and process invoices, check requests, cash advances, travel and business expense reports, and credit card reconciliations.
- Assist staff in resolving financial issues such as late or missing payments, incorrect postings, journal entries, fund transfers, etc.
- Oversee usage of corporate credit and petty cash.
- Ensure financial policies and procedures are promptly disseminated to and understood by staff.
- Work closely with the development department to prepare budgets and related information for grant applications; ensure funds are used in accordance with grant guidelines; and track and report on grant expenditures.
- Review proposed benefits for corporate sponsorships and other funders.
- Calculate and file monthly state sales tax return and be the first point of contact with our financial institutions
- Process billings for events and programming.
- Partner with Executive Director and the Operations Director to oversee all insurance related matters.
- Manage annual external audit process delivering all accounting cycle narratives, revenue tracing and all other supporting schedules.
- Review annual Form 990 and Pennsylvania Bureau of Charitable Organizations for correctness prior to filing.
- Ensure all obligations are met for annual Data Arts reporting.
- In concert with the Executive Director and contracted counsel, review all contracts and related legal documentation for accuracy and completeness and to ensure compliance with Mattress Factory policies and procedures.
- Partner with the Executive Director and the Talent and Equity Director on relevant personnel functions, including implementation of policies and budget evaluations for positions and compensation changes.
- Supervise the Payroll and HR Analyst in performing financial and administrative duties.
- Carry out additional projects and duties as requested to improve the financial and administrative operations of the museum.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Finance” in the subject line. Applicants selected for an interview may be asked to provide references. No calls please.
The Mattress Factory is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff that is committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. Mattress Factory does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, employment policies, scholarship programs, and other Mattress Factory administered programs and activities. All of our employees’ points of view are key to our success, and inclusion is everyone's responsibility.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Art you can get into.